Build your own Live Steam Locomotive

Brightstar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed, Hornby would need to be on board and if so the idea of Hornby contracting a couple of dozen people like me each to take on an element of batch production is not that far fetched.

Suitably equipped and trained and quality control monitored

we would be the new equivalent of what used to be "cheap Chinese labour".

Come to think of it there must be hundreds of (near) pension age individuals with the energy, time and money (to invest in model engineering equipment) all willing to give this

a go.

In WW2 they built aircraft this way in hundreds of "Shadow Factories"

Eric001

Will try to get a video on youtube of the SR Schools and again your right the way forward at this time is to pick an engine that you like and have a go as a one off. I dont think a batch built by a group will come about by hornby or anyone

as money and skill level would always be a problem still you never know. Time wise I never get enough time and seem to be on other jobs but It could be finished in weeks if time permitted

So lets say you have Hornby on board Adrian, that's a big hurdle out thw way. We now`ask who will pay for all the parts, the bills for electricity etc, the packaging, you will still have a mountain of H&S regs, EU paperwork. toy safety law, and a pile

of other stuff to go through. You need a proper throughly researched business plan for a start, that's a given, keep the first models simple, easy to modify form existing models for the first couple of models. Quality needs to be top notch and a Hornby QC

person will be required to inspect each model, although you could do this if Hornby agree using retired ex-Hornby factory staff.

Business plan first, proper planning so you have a concrete proposal you can take to Hornby. You will good financial backing

too and lots of it.

Saying oh lets build x,y,z and I'll bring a drill is fine, but you are entering into a buisness world and need to business like to get Hornby on side for starters. Every bank, business organisation you visit will want a thorough

business plan.

The buisness world and Hornby along with the banks will never put up the time and money for a product that has been dropped by a major manifacture as the question will be why did hornby stop making this type of product? COST might be the answer and that will draw a line under it for ever.

Doesn't matter how much somene tires to discredit me, the fact stands that to prove it works to investors you need a business plan gowest, no one will take such a commerical project seriously written on the back of a fag packet.

I have offered my

time and support but would need to see a proper business plan, costings etc., before I entered into such a project. As some dragons say, "I'm out"

Archived