Help diagnose issue controller issue

Jwgorrie

Hello, recently got a once used live steam mallard, the engine can heat up ok, and starts to move, but the controller dial at the bottom that you push left and right to control speed doesn’t adjust the trains speed.

It just gets so fast it flys off the track.

Also the volt metre jumps from 0 to max every second and emits a squeaky noise.

When in super heat it jumps constantly from 0 to max volts. Also even if controller isn’t attached to track the same thing happens. 

Can anyone advise? Is it the controller? 

Much appreciated

John

Hi John

never come acrss this one but I take it this happens on all the heat settings?

the ticking noise coming from the controller is the change over relay that should come in when the regulator control is moved left or right.and the volt meter will then read the lower voltage of about  8 volts this then much lower voltage runs the small motor in the engine controlling the speed. I have had the regulator lever micro switches give problems and replace them so you could check them out these are mounted on a separate board and connected to the main board by a small plug you could try unplugging this and switching on and see if the ticking stops Which would point to a micro switch fault other than that unless I think of anything els will let you know as the fault is with the controller and seems to be switching from the 16 volt out put to the lower 8 volt out put all on its own so basically it's U/S Hornby may be able to help with this other than that I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do unless someone else can offer you some better advice.

ken

There is a previous post in this section referring to a total strip down of Mallard which would allow for a better understanding of how these little gems work and which could an aid to fault diagnosis of which part of the loco is awry or if not leading to the controller being the problem.

Edit - the link back to the 00 Live Steam Club gives an error and I can’t find it on their site (it may be in the members only area) but I did save the document locally, however it is many pages and I can’t post it on here. Maybe email me via my website link and I could send a copy.

Rob

Archived