Live Steam Controller Spares?

GWR18

Hi all,

Looking for spares to a live steam steam set I have recently bought. 

Does anyone know where I could find the power track and a spare cable that runs from the speed controller to the power track? failing this means buying the entire controller setup... which will be done as a last resort  

......and (I know this is frequently asked) what distilled water is recommended... i can’t bring myself to spend £19 on Hornby distilled water off eBay! 

Any other tips or tricks before I get started are always appreciated! 

I believe the correct power track has screw down connectors to handle the extra high current needs of live steam, but I guess soldering suitably thick cable to the rails would suffice. Certainly no need to buy a new controller just to get the track and wire parts.

Rob

First try hornby for parts but failing that as Rob has said find some heavy cable and soldering is the best way to connect to the track so many poor runs can be tied down to bad connections 

you can buy all you need on eBay to connect the controller to the track the 5 pin plug the water the oil and cable have a look.

ken

Thanks chaps for the good ideas. Hornby sadly doesn’t have any of the spare parts required so I’ve gone down the route of making my own cable! 

Look forward to getting it all up and running

• 1 month later...

Olly85

sorry to say you are wrong if it is deionised water it will over time eat away the solder in the engine so should no be used, i would say any distilled water should be fine. I make my own distilled water which I have used for over 8 years with no problems and must have saved me £1000 most part water oil leads and plugs are on eBay if you take the time to look.

ken

• 1 month later...

Ok,

Sirstly as Go west pointed out, you are better to avoid the power track as it will melt due to the amperage of the system. Hornby faux pas number 1!

if you have a permanent set up, solder droppers to all track sections, (easier with flexible track) and link all droppers to a ‘bus’ system to bring power to the layout. This is the best and only advice for trouble free power distribution for Hornby Live Steam!

Secondly, as the OOLSC shop manager I can assure you of all your needs which are available from the online club shop. We are a very friendly bunch of miniature steam heads. The club is free to join, and as a member you will be able to obtain most of what you require to enjoy and maintain your loco/s.

we shall be exhibiting at the Warley Show in 2 weeks time so if you can, please come along to acquaint yourself with us all.

wew.oolivesteam.com

Archived