Toad brake vans

2e0dtoeric

The new brake van looks like it will be a good model, and I certainly hope to add one to my collection. 

What was more intriguing to me was the Brighton Belle. Yet again it is one with the yellow warning panel and not with the Pullman crest in the front. This dates it firmly into the late 1960s which is when the train was in decline, and not into the late 1940s and 1950s whan it still represented a bit of glamour albeit still a bit 'common'.  3053 got a yellow panel first in March 1966 , and the other two in winter 1966. They also got the horns in the roof  at about the same time.  I shall not be buying one in this condition although I might be tempted by one based in 1950s if one ever appears.

Why this obsession with yellow fronts?  Same applies to the 2Hal and 2Bil. These only appeared when the units concerned were in decline, and not when they were the mainstay of many services!

I am not sure the NE Toads worked in to the Southern although no doubt in theory they could turn up on inter-regionals from Ferme Park or Temple Mills, because the Eastern Region could get them back in a return working. They are very similar to the old Tri-ang guards van much beloved in my childhood. I think I still have one or two on my collection.

I used to look out for the Brighton Belle during my spotting days on Clapham Junction 1960 -1964 period. They did add a little bit of glamour in a sea of green (not that I have anything against that colour if course!) There was also the Bournemouth Belle to look out for, and 6Pul sets with their single Pullman car in between. It was a definate down grade when BR painted them blue and grey and then in 1972 we lost them all together.

Getting back to the yellow warning panel it is very much an end of steam thing. On a steam era layout (particularly a Southern themed one) I feel it looks out of place. I have already ovepainted all my 2Hal fronts to get rid of them. Horrible!

I do have the pre-war version of the Hornby Brighton Belle wirh original numbers intending to replace the 2052 set number with a 3052 one but haven't got round to doing it yet. Not really pukka for a layout based upon the North Kent line but then about another 40% of my collection isn't either!

• 2 weeks later...

May I respectfully point out to the Engine Shed copywriter that toads don't hop.

Frogs hop, toads crawl.

What was more intriguing to me was the Brighton Belle. Yet again it is one with the yellow warning panel and not with the Pullman crest in the front.

Given that this is the first umber and cream BB that Hornby has done with a small yellow panel, the accusation of 'yet again' in relation to it is rather wide of the mark...

• 2 weeks later...
I'd respectfully suggest that this is disproportionally high given the number of years the units were in service with the Pullman crest (compared to yellow) and therefore not so wide of the mark at all.   😉

Given our respective post counts, I'd respectfully suggest that you and LC&DR have considerably more time on your hands to argue about semantics on internet forums than I do, Caiptean.

However, I maintain that 'yet again' is an OTT (and, I must say, amusingly) drama-queeny term to describe only the second Brighton Belle model that Hornby has produced which includes any kind of yellow panel.

It's only a hobby.

Hi Rule 1

This is a public forum, allowing access to anyone to ask questions, or offer advice, or answer the questions from others. That is why LC&DR and Caiptean have such high Post Counts - they help people.

I doubt you'll ever get anywhere near those figures as most of your posts are moans, groans and insults. As you are obviously unhappy can I respectfully suggest that you go away and annoy people elsewhere. 

Archived