Tyre grip helper

Storm68

Hey guys,

Everyone seems to have an opinion on whats best to use after trueing your tyres for added grip.

I've seen WD40 to sunburn cream being mentioned.

Plastic friendly oil seems the best best but most model shops here dont seem to have that.

I previously had RC cars and used marine grease and shock oil so thats not going to work here.

Is there a brand I can buy from the hardware store that will do the trick?

I did post on the Scalextric site and WD40 wins by a mile but reading here it can be a devil in disguise.

Also a complete noob question here, everyone saids to use a product after tyre trueing for grip but I dont really understand how it makes a difference.

I have used WD40 and the grip level is huge after use but I'm not sure why.

Its one of those I do it because everyone else does kind of things.

I have never heard of anyone using lead tape. Given lead is poisonous I wouldn't think of using it... unless you mean to use it weigh cars down?

I have used copper on older bits of Scalextric Classic track to bring it back to to life.

Out of curiositry, why are you bringing it up...?

Yes that is the Ballistol I was tlaking of.

Plastic safe, all natural (you can techincally drink it, please don't try though!) and useful for tons of stuff.

The Ballistol is very hard to get but I have 2 cans on order.

Our leading hardware chain Bunnings only stocks it as a special order with the warehouse on the other side of the country so it'll be here in a week or so.

The lead tape is something here people on the Aussie forums use a lot to add weight to the car for better grip.

You tape it in thin strips onto the inside chassis of the car at the sides and rear to weigh the car down.

Its primarily used for tennis rackets and golf clubs but guys here use it on thier cars.

You've not heard of people using this?

https://www.tenniswarehouse.com.au/unique-lead-tape.html

Yes I have heard of that just when stated at the same time as copper tape I was a bit perplexed.

Robert Schleicher, author of many slot car book is a big fan of using lead tape for weight and placement.

Always use gloves as even toching lead can lead (isn't English great/grate?) to posiining...

Personally I go to my local race track almost once a month from May to October and there are 1 - 5 gram wheel weights lying around more than cigarette butts!

So I pick them u and use the local equivalent to "blu-tak" adhesive putty to put a little weight in.

If I ddin't have that option I would look into lead tape though.

You can use copper tape inside cars to connect up lights as well BTW..

Although a lot people like their various tyre treatments, I think the main thing is to true the rear tyres so they are flat on the track and then keep them clean. I use the sticky side of masking tape for cleaning the tyres, some use gaffer (duct) tape and others lighter fuel on a cloth.

Front tyres should just be touching the track and should be low -grip. I coat them with nail varnish.

If I'm going to soften the tyres, then 3in 1 oil from a hardware store will do the job. Wipe a few drops on the tread of of the tyre, leave for a few minutes to soak in and then wipe off any residue. I'd normally do this the evening before the race.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Ballistol is just to hard to get and WD-40 is not plastic friendly so was just wondering what te general concensus on using Inox MX3 for tyre grip is?

I'm talking rubber tyres on a plastic track.

Some people say it works, some say it makes everything more slippery.

I use Inox MX3 on my braids and the track rails so I'm not wanting to use it on tyres if its not viable because I dont want to clean up the trail it leaves if I dont have to.

I cant reach all parts of my track unfortunately.

I'd say no to Inox on rubber tyres as it is rather expensive to import to the UK and requires more cleaning up. I've always used 3 in 1 oil, which is standard hardware store oil. Others use NSR tyre treatment.

However, the most important thing is to keep tyres clean, rolling them over tape etc.

Archived