Converting headlights and brake lights on a DPR car

Jasek

Hi

Ive read you can have the headlights fully on by rerouting the power to the pickup? What im really after is the brake effect when you release the trigger? How is this acheived? I beleve ypu have to flash the chip does anyone know how to completer the process? I.e software, wiring etc? Is it done via plugging chip into a PC? Many thanks.

Kind regards

Jase

The recently upgraded C8515 (rev H) DPR decoder has four wiring points for lighting... in digital mode this gives...

1/ headlamps always on when car is on track.

2/ tail lights always on which brighten as brake lights when brake button is pressed (or trigger released in systems with dynamic braking such as ARC PRO).

Sounds like this is exactly what you are looking for.

With older decoders such as C8515 rev F and rev G you are also correct in that you can reflash these decoders with in-car pro firmware to activate the brake lights. This thirdparty firmware is not supported by Hornby and reflashing is a oneway journey... once reglashed you cannot return to the standard ZHornby firmware. There are other benefits to reflashing... including for the rev H decoder... but that can be explored elsewhere...

Hope this helps...

C

Hi Jase. Yes, you can get 'always-on' lights by connecting the light boards direct to pick-ups. If you have the newest version of the C8515 digital plug ('Rev H' with the grey packaging) then you can wire the lights to the chip and get working brake lights. There's a superb tutorial on Slot Forum here: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165874

• 2 years later...

Addendum: I pulled up the old link posted above: The chip used is known for causing the cars in analog mode to be very hard to control. They will have no brakes and the acceleration will be nearly instant.

As long as you don't hold the car down and give it full throttle though you can't damage them...