Powering bogies with two motors

I have 9F that used to stall on crossovers. It's a tender drive loco and the wheels that drive and pick up are exactly the same distance apart as the gaps in crossovers. Now with a 9F you can't add extra motor as body is solid. I cured it by adding a new pick-up to the loco. The original set up was pick up on tender driving wheels and only one side of the loco is used as the return. On the 9F I soldered a wire to the valve gear cylinder guide on the un-utilised side. The drive concept rods are connected to the wheels and provide a circuit to the track. Result fixed as the motor now gets continual power. I also used the same fix on a Tender drive Flying Scotsman with the same result. 

Maybe in your case you could add extra pick-up to the other bogie not go the extra motor route. It possible the total current draw would be too great for a normal decoder. 

It is indeed possible and I dual motored a ringfield Class 56, BUT...

...synchronising the two motors can be difficult. My attempt failed as one motor needed to be kick started else it dragged on locked wheels until the throttle was high enough to get it to go whereupon the whole thing shot off at the new pace. My decoders were not adjustable for start voltage.

and

...a single decoder may not have enough grunt to run two motors hence two decoders on the same address could be required.

Not impossible though.

My fix was similar to above in that I installed extra pickups, and fettled the old motor to run as well as I could get it.

Rob

I solved this problem by putting 2 motors in to give 2 power cars, with a decoder each, one wired normally and one in reverse then gave both the decoders the same address. There is a slight difference in speed of the 2 motors but not enough to cause major problems. 

Hope this helps.

Archived