Front wheel tracking for F1 and similar

Nevski_1954

Many years ago I remember the excitement when I had a Scalextric racing car that had front wheels that turned and tracked around the curves, it was such a step forward from the old fixed axle cars.

Sadly that was short lived and noe we have the same old fixed axle cars predominating. Unless of course if you decide to buy SCX cars, these still have front wheel tracking for F1.

Why can't Scalextric do this?

Hi Nevski - welcome to the forum!

I guess Scalextric could do this, but choose not to. Same with Policar, who produce probably the best running Classic F1 cars available today. Another fab F1 car is the SRC McLaren M23, which does have the ‘steering’ - although I understand SRC have decided to drop that feature and go back to a fixed front axle on their new Hesketh model.

Why the steering isn’t such a great idea is partly because a fixed front axle is more predictable when running on track. There are also issues around manufacturing and quality control - if everything isn’t aligned perfectly, it’s a bit of a nightmare. I’ve seen quite a few Fly F1 cars with wonky front ends being sold off cheap...

However, I do agree they look cool :-)

Archived