Rivarossi HR2458 no sound

Guest Chrissaf

Hi,

I‘m having some issue with a steam loco HR2458 suddenly while running on the track the sound stopped working, is there anyway to reset the loco ? Is there a list somewhere of the cv’s numbers ?

Many thanks

For the info of other potential contributors......the OP's loco is a:

/media/tinymce_upload/08c490a3ee2acb4994e94c5152769a25.jpg

Tutti,

Nearly all DCC decoders can be reset by writing 8 to CV8. But without knowing the decoder brand, one can not be categorically sure. Google indicates that the socket is a 21MTC, therefore the sound decoder might possibly be an ESU Loksound decoder. The brand and model of the decoder can usually be identified by reading the values of CV7 & CV8. If you can read those values and report them back here in this thread. Then we can look them up and might be in a better position to answer your question regarding a list of the decoder CVs. ESU Loksound manuals are published online on the ESU website as well as on this Hornby site (see link below). Note that early Hornby branded sound locos used Loksound decoders. I don't know if the same sound decoder brand policy extended to the Hornby International brands or not.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/15/

PS - It might be something as simple as a speaker failure. Test the speaker with a multi-meter set to resistance. The speaker needs to be disconnected from the decoder to take the measurement, else any resistance you read with the meter might be coming from the decoder. Typical speaker resistance values are either 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms or 100 Ohms. DC measured values might not be exactly these values as the quoted values are usually stated as AC Impedances at a 1Khz frequency. The value you measure is not critical as a speaker failure will normally either be a 'short circuit' [zero resistance] or an 'open circuit' [infinite resistance]. A 'short circuit' has the potential to have damaged the audio part of the decoder.

Hi Tutti in carrozza, 

The sound equiped Hornby Int'l (Electrotren) loco I have is fitted with a Loksound and comes with a full sheet listing the CV numbers. The Club Electrotren website is selling Loksound decoders so I would expect that Rivarrossi are also equiped with these. As far as I know Hornby Int'l have always used ESU decoders.

As Chrissaf suggests, the problem may be in the speaker. When the sound goes off, do the lights also go off and does the loco stop?? The decoder and speaker are both in the tender, but you could also check the connection between loco and tender and look for any wires that might be damaged as well as the speaker checks noted above.

The service sheet is HR2457 - https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/44/?p=14 - just in case you don't have that. If you check under the foam at the bottom of the box all the service sheets should be there......All my Hornby Int'l locos have them including decoder info.

For information. Since the decoder chassis connector (male) is a standard 21MTC connector. Then the speaker can be isolated for testing purposes from the decoder just by unplugging the decoder. See Pins 9 & 10 on the following 21MTC pin assignment drawing. Note the "index" is identified as a missing pin (11) on the connector.

/media/tinymce_upload/7875213d807eca3887abb090328da0f7.jpg

If you want to modify your sound set then ESU post various loco sound sets for free download on their website, but you should be aware that they state some files are manufacturer propriety and not available from the website (Nor from Hornby).

• 2 weeks later...

For the info of other potential contributors......the OP's loco is a:

/media/tinymce_upload/08c490a3ee2acb4994e94c5152769a25.jpg

Tutti,

Nearly all DCC decoders can be reset by writing 8 to CV8. But without knowing the decoder brand, one can not be categorically sure. Google indicates that the socket is a 21MTC, therefore the sound decoder might possibly be an ESU Loksound decoder. The brand and model of the decoder can usually be identified by reading the values of CV7 & CV8. If you can read those values and report them back here in this thread. Then we can look them up and might be in a better position to answer your question regarding a list of the decoder CVs. ESU Loksound manuals are published online on the ESU website as well as on this Hornby site (see link below). Note that early Hornby branded sound locos used Loksound decoders. I don't know if the same sound decoder brand policy extended to the Hornby International brands or not.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/15/

You're quite right - all Hornby Internatinoal locos with factory fitted DCC Sound chips use the ESU Loksound. There will be in instruction leaflet in the box as the verison has changed over time. Although the reset solution of CV8 remains the same.

Archived