Carrera f1 digital to Scalextric digital

bartl001

I am not sure if it is possible to switch a carrera digital f1 car to a scalextric digital car. Is changing the cheap all that is required? And if so, what kind of chip is the most suitable. Would really appreciate your help guys :)

Hi bartl001 - welcome to the forum!

I haven't converted a Carrera digital car to Scalextric digital, but I have converted standard Carrera Evolution analogue cars. It is a case of soldering a C7005 Retro-fit chip into the car - making sure the LED IR emitter is on the centre-line of the car and close to the rear of the guide blade. The C7005 should be plenty small enough to fit into the Carrera F1 car.

One other thing to consider is that Carrera guides are too wide and too deep for Scalextric Sport track. Carrera cars should come with a replacement shallow red guide in the box, although if you are using ARC Pro, this won't count laps - the guide needs to black to trigger the lap-counting sensors. Painting the red guide black (or using a good quality black permanent marker) can do the trick - as can shaving down the original black guide. The BRM S-126 'Guide Blade Carrera (Shallow Blade)' is a black alternative and is what I prefer.

If you want to use the car on both Scalextric digital and Carrera digital tracks - and maybe even Slot.it oXigen - the new Slot.it oXigen Type C chip (O201c1) works across all three systems. The chip is fitted as usual and then can be re-flashed with specific firmware for one system at a time. This process requires using an app on a smart device and takes just a few seconds. It is a very neat solution for enthusiasts who race on more than one type of digital track.

I hope that helps.

Hi bart001, I 100% agree with woodcote that the C7005 retro-fit SSD decoder is the best replacement to get a Carrera F1 car running on an SSD track. Although the slot.it Oxigen O201 type C decoder/receiver is a very flexible multi-platform device (slot.it_O2/SSD/Carrera).. it is a lot more expensive and not so well suited to F1 applications. For this device, the two IR LED light sources are in fixed positions on the underside of the circuit board making precise circuit board placement critical. This will be quite challenging in the compact dimensions of an F1 car. The C7005 on the other hand, has a single IR LED for SSD only whichis pre-soldered onto a flying lead... this device should be far easier to fit into the F1 model.

Hope this helps too...

C

• 3 years later...

Hi guys!

This thread may be dead but I think its worth trying……

I`ve also recently bought a Carrera car (132 Evolution) which I’m planning to convert with a C7005 chip. What I can’t find is an idiot-proof guide with pictures of how to connect/solder which cables with which. Greatful for help

forum_image_63c5c317b930b.thumb.png.40d5186216a8cfd8913400c89a604bb1.png

Hi Martin,

It depends on how much of the lighting you want to keep.

If you just want the car to digitally on Scalextric and don't care about the lights you can connect the green and yellow wires on the C7005 to the red and black coming from the guide blade and then the red and black from the C7005 to the purple and grey going to the motor.

Which way round I would have to test as I don't have the polarity at the top of my mind.

If you want to keep all the lighting as well things get a bit trickier.

You would have to solder the lighting to points on the C7005 chip.

DR_C was the expert on this but he has not been seen for a long time.

Greg Gaub over at Slotracer.online: https://slotracer.online/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=13

might be able to help.

Once you know what connects where it isn't too difficult if you have fine soldering equipment and skills.

One thing to note:

The LED should be about 1 CM behind the guide blade. Too close or too far and the timing will be off and laps will not be counted.

Also, the Carrera guides are too thick and deep for Scalextric track. Some Carrera cars come with thinner and shallower guide blades but these are usually red.

The guide must be black otherwise the lap counting will not work.

You can of course shave the guide down to ensure it fits.