Access to DCC sockets, etc.

2e0dtoeric

It would be nice if manufacturers would give a little more thought to WHERE they put the socket.

If they could make it easy to get at, we wouldn't need to take these fiddly, delicate, models to bits (especially if your sight or motor functions are not 100%). An access hatch over the socket, or a pop-off lid would be ideal - as would a bit more room for pudgy fingers!

Tender loco's (and diesels) are comparatively easy, once you find all the hidden screws and clips, but tank engines can be a nightmare.

Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to make the cab/coal bunker or smoke-box into an easily detachable part, and put the socket in the space revealed.

Speakers are another problem.

Couldn’t agree more Eric. I have had a couple of recent adventures with tank locos where you can’t even fit a simple direct plug in decoder In the space provided - ended up converting an N gauge 6 pin decoder to fit an 8 pin socket.

I have mentioned it before but along with more thought on where the decoder is sited, I’d like to see further miniaturization of decoders, particularly TTS so that sound in tank locos becomes a reality without having to sell a kidney to invest in other sound decoders.

But I’m not convinced the manufacturers are listening.

Maybe we need a step change in decoder design, such that it becomes a solid state module that plugs into a matching hole in the host vehicle, loco or tender. All contacts to be on an edge like computer memory. Flat plane speakers could be an integral part of the vehicle design, using flat sides of a loco or DMU as the vibrating bit.