Pre soldered droppers on fishplates

Darthtrainspotter

Looking for options on the following. 

Read a lot about the potential failings of pre soldered droppers on fish plates. Corrosion, loose connection, PVA from ballast getting in between the connection etc.

could one solution, if you have already purchased a load of them (yep jumped in without any research), be to solder the fish plate to one end of the rail. Leave the other end as push fit in case of expansion issues.  That way at least one end will have a long lasting connection. That way at least they won’t go in the bin. 

????

The solder seems to take quicker without melting the sleepers.

For any reader who are melting the sleepers, then the iron is applying too much heat and being held against the rail for too long.

Why might this be........either:

• Iron too big.
  • Iron too higher wattage.
  • Iron bit not clean.
  • Cheap 'Lead Free' solder is being used and not the more expensive 'Lead / Tin' mix solder.
  • Wires being attached have not been pre-tinned.
  • The rail has not been pre-tinned.
  • The rail is not Nickle Silver rail.

Sorry don't agree. If the rail is dirty you will need to hold the iron on there longer for the flux in the multicore solder to take effect. This only occurs when the solder is molten, by using flux you do don't need to melt the solder to get the flux. It is the same reason on dirty PCB you use flux, otherwise the plated through holes tend to lift. I have managed to melt sleepers on old track, and I am using a professional temperature compensated Weller soldering iron. If you think about it, you are soldering nickel silver which is a really good conducter, which is supported by plastic sleepers that have a much lower melting point than solder. You have just been lucky and probably have only ever soldered clean track.

Precisely......

Colin, if you take a few moments to read my 'How To Solder' tutorial meant for soldering novices. Then you will see that in it, I keep on emphasising the need for cleanliness of all parts of the soldering process for a successful soldering experience by a novice. My comment above was meant for the general readership (hence why I started with the "For any reader" phrase) and were just edited highlights of my tutorial. It was not aimed specifically at you. I just used your sentence as a 'trigger' for my comment as I thought that many others might have experienced sleeper melting when soldering.

You have just been lucky and probably have only ever soldered clean track.

No not lucky.....just 50 odd years of soldering experience in the electronics industry to call upon.

If I had given my list just a bit more thought, then I would have added:

• The surfaces being soldered are not clean and shiny.

All I am saying, is if you use separate flux you get a better joint, and in my opinion the solder takes quicker, so there is less chance of melting the sleeper. I must admit when I solder circuit boards, I don't use flux, but if it is something big I do, and yes I use multicore solder.