Prodigy Express

Swerveq

IMO you should consider running all layout lighting, such as street lamps, building internal lights and station platform lighting etc from a totally separate power source. Saving the DCC power for running the trains!

I use a regulated 12 volt DC power source rated at 2.0Amp this is a simple plug-in to the wall socket power supply. Its output being regulated is a constant 12 volts regardless of load.  eBay and Amazon are good places to find them at reasonable prices. On eBay look for "CCTV power supplies".   Some come with an adaptor that allows easy onward wiring. 

Get the Prodigy Advance "Squared". It has three amps of available power. It'll run just about anything. I have a lot of lighted passenger cars that have BULBS instead of LEDs. A standard, basic 1-2 amp DCC system just trips the breakers, and just running one train with seven or eight lighted coaches. I invested in the Prodigy Advance, and can run multiple trains with lights,  without issue. If you need a 3-3.5 amp system, it's the cheapest way to go...