Dedicated pit lane

Shed1

Hi , I was wondering if Scalextric digital will bring out a dedicated pit lane with sensors ? I have the six digital which is fantastic with the dedicated pit lane sensors ! I recently bought the arc pro setup to run a Grandprix F1 track and was disappointed that the car can stop anywhere on the track, 

Hi Shed1 - I also use the C7042 Advanced powerbase with third-party computer link-up, race management software and pit lane sensors. It's a very nice upgrade to the basic Scalextric hardware and we have some very generous and skilled enthusiasts to thank for developing the extra kit.

ARC Pro was not developed with pit sensors in mind. It's true that cars can stop and initiate the pit stop process anywhere on track. However, the simple solution is a rule that if anyone does this, they get disqualified from the race. In digital racing, stopping out on track is hazardous to the car stopping and to those cars that will smash into the back of it - so it is a sensible rule to demand cars must use the pit lane for their pit stops.

I can't see pit stop sensors being added to the current ARC Bluetooth system. Even though the Bluetooth communication protocols have been released and developers can design their own apps for ARC powerbases, to create the extra hardware for pit sensors and connect that to the race management app would be a tough (maybe impossible) challenge.

However, if Scalextric release the communication protocol for the USB port (on the left side of the powerbase), we could see a PC link-up similar to the one we have for the C7042. A pit lane sensor linked to a USB port on the computer would be much more straightforward - probably using exactly the same hardware we have now.

Hi thanks for the quick reply! so do I keep using the arc pro as well as the C7042 or it it a changeover of powerbases to get the pit lane sensors or are you saying I need to get racemanagement software as well ?i do have the majic ARC app race control is this the one ? Regards Alan 

Hi Alan - it is either ARC Pro or the C7042 Advanced Powerbase, not both at the same time. Both powerbases do essentially the same thing - provide a constant 15 volts to the track, deliver a digital command signal to the digital chips and sense when a car crosses the start/finish line. Both powerbases turn data from the hand controllers and the race management software into the digital command signals sent to the car via the track rails.

What they do differently is the C7042 Advanced Powerbase has simple inbuilt race management software via the old-fashioned LCD display tower, whereas ARC Pro has a two-way communication via Bluetooth to the ARC (or Magic) app running on an external smart device. The connection to the LCD tower has been used by skilled enthusiasts to create a two-way link from the C7042 to the USB port of a Windows computer and therefore to move race management functions to the software (SSDC, RCS64 etc) running on the computer. The C7042 to USB cable costs £30 and the software costs another £30-50. Pit lane sensors cost £70 to £100.

The pit lane sensors link up to another USB port on the same computer and data from those sensors (car ID entering and exiting the pits) is used by the software programme. To have functioning pit sensors with ARC Pro, we would need a similar set-up - the sensors sending data to the external computer (PC, phone or tablet) that is running the race management software. In hindsight, the ARC Pro powerbase could have been designed to handle that pit lane data (sensors that plugged into the base), but it wasn't. The key thing now is to get pit lane sensors to communicate with the device running the race management software - then new software would be required to use that data from the sensors. And that's easier said than done - otherwise someone would have done it by now.

I do like the pit lane sensors very much, but are they essential for digital racing? I don't think so. At our digital club (using the C7042 powerbase) we have run a few times without the pit sensors functioning. Racers were aware they had to pit in the pit lane and everyone did that - it Is exactly the same with ARC Pro. Disqualifying drivers for starting a pit sequence outside the pit is ample deterrent I think.

Hi Alan - for the C7042 six-car Advanced Powerbase only, there are these third-party upgrade options:

• USB to C7042 APB cable & PitPro Deluxe (pit lane sensor). Both available from RikoRocket here.
  • Alternative pit lane sensors - SmartSensor from SmartRacing here.
  • Scalextric Sport Digital Console (SSDC) software here. A free 30-day trial is available.
  • Race Control Systems 64 (RCS64) software here. A free 30-day trial is available.

These are all products I have used and enjoy. You will also need a Windows PC or laptop with at least two USB ports and meeting the system requirements of your chosen software package. Apart from SSDC and RCS64, there are other race management systems (eg PCLapCounter, Race Co-ordinator Digital etc) available. A firmware upgrade for the C7042 Advanced Powerbase is necessary to run the various software packages. This requires the APB-to-USB cable, plus a firmware update tool - all the instructions are on the SSDC site here.

None of these hardware or software options will work with ARC Pro. The only third-party option currenty available for ARC Pro is the Magic app here. There is also a guide to racing with ARC Pro using the Scalextric ARC app here.

Hi Alan - for the C7042 six-car Advanced Powerbase only, there are these third-party upgrade options:

• USB to C7042 APB cable & PitPro Deluxe (pit lane sensor). Both available from RikoRocket here.
  • Scalextric Sport Digital Console (SSDC) software here. A free 30-day trial is available.
  • Race Control Systems 64 (RCS64) software here. A free 30-day trial is available.

These are all products I have used and enjoy. You will also need a Windows PC or laptop with at least two USB ports and meeting the system requirements of your chosen software package. Apart from SSDC and RCS64, there are other race management systems (eg PCLapCounter, Race Co-ordinator Digital etc) available. A firmware upgrade for the C7042 Advanced Powerbase is necessary to run the various software packages. This requires the APB-to-USB cable, plus a firmware update tool - all the instructions are on the SSDC site here.

None of these hardware or software options will work with ARC Pro. The only third-party option currenty available for ARC Pro is the Magic app here. There is also a guide to racing with ARC Pro using the Scalextric ARC app here.

Hi Alan - it is either ARC Pro or the C7042 Advanced Powerbase, not both at the same time. Both powerbases do essentially the same thing - provide a constant 15 volts to the track, deliver a digital command signal to the digital chips and sense when a car crosses the start/finish line. Both powerbases turn data from the hand controllers and the race management software into the digital command signals sent to the car via the track rails.

What they do differently is the C7042 Advanced Powerbase has simple inbuilt race management software via the old-fashioned LCD display tower, whereas ARC Pro has a two-way communication via Bluetooth to the ARC (or Magic) app running on an external smart device. The connection to the LCD tower has been used by skilled enthusiasts to create a two-way link from the C7042 to the USB port of a Windows computer and therefore to move race management functions to the software (SSDC, RCS64 etc) running on the computer. The C7042 to USB cable costs £30 and the software costs another £30-50. Pit lane sensors cost £70 to £100.

The pit lane sensors link up to another USB port on the same computer and data from those sensors (car ID entering and exiting the pits) is used by the software programme. To have functioning pit sensors with ARC Pro, we would need a similar set-up - the sensors sending data to the external computer (PC, phone or tablet) that is running the race management software. In hindsight, the ARC Pro powerbase could have been designed to handle that pit lane data (sensors that plugged into the base), but it wasn't. The key thing now is to get pit lane sensors to communicate with the device running the race management software - then new software would be required to use that data from the sensors. And that's easier said than done - otherwise someone would have done it by now.

I do like the pit lane sensors very much, but are they essential for digital racing? I don't think so. At our digital club (using the C7042 powerbase) we have run a few times without the pit sensors functioning. Racers were aware they had to pit in the pit lane and everyone did that - it Is exactly the same with ARC Pro. Disqualifying drivers for starting a pit sequence outside the pit is ample deterrent I think.

Hi I suppose the c7 power base will not work wirelessly? Which in my case I do not like the plug in which I feel is to restricted?

Hi Alan - No, the ARC controllers won't work with the C7042 powerbase.

It is possible to set-up a wireless controller system with the C7042, but it does get expensive. We bought Truspeed SSD IV controllers and SCS receiver box for the club in Worthing. The controllers were £50 each and the box £75. Neither seem available at the moment, but you could try contacting Steve at Truspeed. A more expensive wireless alternative are the Scorpius controllers that link to a USB dongle on the PC. We are talking in excess of £100 per controller, plus the dongle...

You can see how Scalextric have done a great job with ARC Pro, packing a lot of great features into a very reasonably-priced system. If the only thing ARC Pro is lacking for you is the pit lane sensors, I think you'd do okay just to enforce the "do pit work outside the pit lane and you're disqualified" rule - it works for me.

Happy New Year!

Hi Alan

The Truspeed/SCS system simply plugs into the C7042 powerbase. The receiver has six cables and each plugs into a controller port on the powerbase. The Truspeed controllers communicate by wireless radio with the receiver. This means the system works with the powerbase alone, with the Scalextric display tower attached or the powerbase to USB computer cable linked to a Windows computer running any of the race management programs (SSDC, RCS64 etc) that will work the standard Scalextric digital controllers. In other words, this wireless system is a direct replacement for the standard Scalextric digital controllers.

I've only used the Scorpius controllers with the C7042 on one occasion. These connect to a Scorpius wireless receiver dongle plugged into a USB port on a Windows PC. This means that the C7042 powerbase must be connected to the Windows computer and be running a suitable race management program for the Scorpius controllers to be able to drive the cars. I know that SSDC and RCS64 can both run with the Scorpius controllers and I understand that they should work with most other programs too. I did read that there are problems connecting Scorpius controllers to two of the car IDs, but that may have been fixed - and four controllers may be more than enough for your purposes anyway.

If you Google "Truspeed slot car controllers" and "Scorpius Wireless" then you will be able to find out more and contact Steve and Rick who have developed the two systems.

The ARC wireless controllers will not work with either the Truspeed/SCS receiver box or the Scorpius receiver dongle.

I hope that helps.

Hi Alan

The Truspeed/SCS system simply plugs into the C7042 powerbase. The receiver has six cables and each plugs into a controller port on the powerbase. The Truspeed controllers communicate by wireless radio with the receiver. This means the system works with the powerbase alone, with the Scalextric display tower attached or the powerbase to USB computer cable linked to a Windows computer running any of the race management programs (SSDC, RCS64 etc) that will work the standard Scalextric digital controllers. In other words, this wireless system is a direct replacement for the standard Scalextric digital controllers.

I've only used the Scorpius controllers with the C7042 on one occasion. These connect to a Scorpius wireless receiver dongle plugged into a USB port on a Windows PC. This means that the C7042 powerbase must be connected to the Windows computer and be running a suitable race management program for the Scorpius controllers to be able to drive the cars. I know that SSDC and RCS64 can both run with the Scorpius controllers and I understand that they should work with most other programs too. I did read that there are problems connecting Scorpius controllers to two of the car IDs, but that may have been fixed - and four controllers may be more than enough for your purposes anyway.

If you Google "Truspeed slot car controllers" and "Scorpius Wireless" then you will be able to find out more and contact Steve and Rick who have developed the two systems.

The ARC wireless controllers will not work with either the Truspeed/SCS receiver box or the Scorpius receiver dongle.

I hope that helps.

Hi Alan

I hope that helps.

Hi and thanks again ! In your option do you think wireless is better than the wired controllers ?i have used the wireless with the SCX digital and I cannot see past it ! The arcpro just does not seem to do as much as the SSDC and the RM software set up or am I wrong in this ? Regards alan

Hi Alan

1) Wireless vs wired. My personal preference is wireless controllers because you are not tied to the powerbase. That's probably more important if you are racing with other people, rather than racing alone. I like the ARC controllers and they are very good value and can be customised within the ARC app (see here). The new wireless Slot.it SCP3 controller will be an upgrade for the ARC controllers. The wireless options for the C7042 are excellent quality, but expensive.

2) C7042 vs ARC Pro. Potentially, the C7042 + USB cable + Windows computer + race management software + pit lane sensors + wireless controller/receiver system has more features than ARC Pro + a smart device + ARC or Magic app. The C7042 + all the add-ons is also more complex, with a lot more to learn and - potentially a lot more to go wrong.

The most important questions to answer are "what features do I want?" and "how much do I want to spend?".

If you will be racing with friends and family, then ARC Pro does everything the full "deluxe" version of the C7042 + add-ons offers, although the simulations (fuel consumption, tyre wear, weather etc) are less detailed and can't be customised to the same extent. If someone was used to racing with RCS64 and couldn't accept anything less, then the ARC app would be mildly disappointing to some (but not all). The Magic app offers more customisation to the race formats and simulations and there are plenty of ex-C7042 racers who enjoy it. I have produced a guide to racing with the ARC app here: slotracer.online/arc-pro-guide/index

If you will be running on your own against pace cars, then RCS64 offers fabulous pace car features. In comparison, ARC Pro is very simple (one pace car, single speed setting). If pace cars are what you want, the C7042 would be the best choice - and you won't be spending much on controllers. With ARC Pro, the Magic app offers a more complex pace car option, but not as fully-featured as RCS64.

One final things to say on the ARC Pro vs C7042 question - ARC Pro is still very new and is in the early stages of its development process. There is likely to be more hardware and software developed by enthusiasts - and there may be more upgrades from Scalextric too. The C7042 is most probably at the end of its development process - third-party hardware or software have not been updated for some years. What we have is very good, but it won't be improved or added to.

3) Big screens. The Scalextric ARC app can only be run on a smart device. The Magic app also has a Windows Bluetooth option. Phones and tablets can be easily linked to monitors and projectors, so the apps can be also viewed on a big screen. The Scalextric ARC app displays in a vertical (portrait) orientation, which is trickier than you might imagine to display neatly. I find a 9.7" tablet screen is perfectly fine for four racers (thanks to the controller rumble prompts) - larger tablets are available. If I were to use a big screen, I would choose a digital projector displaying onto a projector screen or a white wall. This is one of the things I look at in my ARC Pro Guide here: slotracer.online/arc-pro-guide/sharing

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I was also wondering can the arc pro set up be wired up to a big screen ? Or must it just be used with the iPad ? Regards alan

I mirror my iPad wirelessly to a large TV using an Apple TV box.

If you have a TV that supports AirPlay, then you don't need the extra box. There is a list of such TVs at apple.com : 

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/home/accessories/#section-tv