Pit Lanes and Analog

MarkC66

Hey Guys,

Quick questions regarding the Scalextric digital pit lane pieces,

I am working out a track layout in analog at the moment, but I do want to switch to digital soon,

Question is, what is the default position of the pit lane changers straight or into the pits?,  if I can incorporate those pieces now into the build, I can set my scenery. Is it ok to have them fitted and still run analog?

Lane changers aren't so much of a problem, and can be put in later, as I believe they replace standard straights.

Any help and guidance is appreciated

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark.

1) The default position is neither open or closed... When operating in digital, the lane changers (including in the pit entry) sense the car chip's LED. If the lane change button in pressed, the flipper will open (to change lane), if the lane change button is not pressed, the flipper will close (to go straight on). In analogue, there is no signal from the car to sense - so you have to manually close the flippers and hope they stay there... What I (and many others) do is to use a little bit of tape (I use Scotch Magic) to fix the flipper to the inside rail to keep the lane running straight on. Just remember to remove the tape when switching to digital (ARC Pro and the C7042 Advanced 6-car powerbase both have an analogue mode).

2) Yes, fine to fit them and use them with analogue, although I would tape the flippers (as above). Definitely a good idea to plan and build the track and scenics with the pit lane in place. However, do make sure the entry and exit pieces are the correct way round. The entry piece has a moving flipper, on the exit piece the flipper is fixed - that's why there is a left-hand pit set and a right-hand pit set. It's best to have at least a half straight between a corner and the pit entry so the car can straighten and the LED and track sensor line up. One last thing - the powerbase should be outside the pit lane complex (unless you will be using pit lane sensors with the C7042 powerbase), otherwise laps won't be counted when a car pits.

3) A straight lane-changer = one and a half standrad straights.

Hope that helps!

Hi Mark,

Essentially all digital lane changers work the same regardless of thier form:

When a digital car approaches either it is signal "CHANGE!" or not. If it is signalling CHANGE! the flipper will move if it is in straight or remain where it is if it has been left in the change position.

The opposite is also true: If the car approaches and does not request a change and the flipper is in change mode it will move to straight.

As long as you keep the lanes separate it should be possible to leave the pit lane in (but not use it) in analog mode.

You will likely have to tape the flippers to be sure the movement of the cars don't cause them move into the lane change position by accident.

Please not if you are using ARC PRO the power base must be in a section on its own otherwise lap will not be counted. Some users put the powerbase next to the pit lane which causes the cars to circumvent the powerbase and cause the laps to not be counted.

Thanks for the info Woodcote and Andy,

I have one more question, when we talk about left and right Pit Lane pieces would I be correct in assuming it is based on the direction of travel. The reason I ask is when I switch to digital I will be wanting to race counter clockwise, and my pit lane will be on the left, so I would get the left hand pit pieces, I just want to make sure I get the correct pieces first time around.

Thanks again Mark