Problem Thomas again...

Ikcdab

This appears to be the similar problem to the previous topic. I wonder if there is a general fault with this model?

Yesterday we bought a brand new Hornby Thomas 0-6-0. R9287. Ran it on a circle of track connected to an old h&m controller. All was ok until just now.  The engine just ran slower and slower for the same controller setting over about 5 mins, then just ground to a halt. Nothing can persuade it back into life.

I have had the body off, nothing jammed in it. Motor appears to rotate ok. Pickups are ok and there is voltage at the brushes. I get a high resistance reading when metering across the brushes. 

With the motor out, the wheels rotate freely.

We will take it back to the shop,  but just wondered what on earth has gone wrong? 

Ikcdab, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

Sadly, the 2015 and 2016 made models have many known faults. R9287 Thomas the Tank Engine locomotive was produced during this period of time and the Thomas model seems to be suffering from the motors burning and also the conrods falling apart.

I think the best solution in regards to the motor, is buy a replacement motor rather than replacing the locomotive. The reason for this is, as the replacement Thomas will probably also burn his motor out, as many of them have done and there's many complaints about it happening.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)