Converting old to new

Max58

Hi guys, I have, like many others I'm sure, a number of older, classic, 'pre digital' cars. Is there a way of converting these to digital models? I know it will require drilling and a bit of work, but is there a kit available to purchase?

Hi Max. Yes, what you need is the C7005 Retro-Fit Digital Chip: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/retro-fit-digital-chip-a-single-seater-type

It is out of stock here on the Scalextric website at the moment, but widely available from Scalextric stockists. It does require some basic soldering. Instructions are included.

Here is an excellent video of a C7005 chip being fitted to a tiny Scalextric Mini Cooper:

I hope that helps

By using readily available plugs (for example smaller versions of what you use for car stereos) you can wire the chip in so that you can reeuse the chip by opening the car up and taking the chip out.

I recommend using some something like BluTak or removable putty to hold the LED in place to make swapping out easier.

You can also use hot glue and then se alcohol to remove the LED if you want.

Most of my cars I have retro-chipped this way so you only need 6 chips (the maximum number of cars that can be on the track at any given time).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, is there a different chip for ARC powerbases and previous digital powerbases?

I mean, can digital pre-ARC cars run on it or do their chip need to be updated? I wonder because I know (correct me if I'm wrong) that digital controllers are different than ARC controllers.

Thanks.

Hi Eric. The same Scalextric Sport Digital chips work with all Scalextric Sport Digital powerbases. Yes, the controllers have changed, but the powerbase to car communication remains the same.

I hope that helps.

It does, thanks a lot.