Recommendations please for variety of engine and rolling stock repair

JamesRoc

Hi All. New to the forum.

I have a variety of hornby engines, sets, coaches, wagons needing repair/servicing some missing wheels, couplings, bogeys etc and I want to send them all somewhere in the UK that will repair the lot (and have the parts to do so) including service some locomotives, to bring all back to full working order.

Where would you recommend please?

Thank you,

James

Where would you recommend please?

Shangri la...... if you can find it.

I really don't mean to be negative....just being realistic, but your full wish-list, I'm afraid in my opinion, is just that.......a forlorn wish.....a panacea. It is fairly easy to find places that have the facilities to repair rolling stock, but finding somewhere who also holds obsolete unobtainable spares to do any and everything is another kettle of fish entirely. You might have to be more realistic and investigate potential repairers of individual rolling stock products on a 'case by case' basis. Then there is the cost implication, repair of wagons and coaches might cost more than they are worth.

Peter's Spares might come closest to meeting your wish-list, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Following on from Chrissaf's reply may I add that you may be better trying to do it yourself. 

You will need to consider first whether the item is worth repairing, replacing wheels is fairly easy, replacing couplings can be both difficult or easy depending upon the actual model, replacing bogies a bit harder still, servicing locomotives need not be difficult depending upon what is wrong with them.  See below -

Have a look at this post:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/faq-beginner-question-my-locoset-is-not-working/?p=1

If you have a toy and train fair nearby you should go and have a look at some of the trade stands, they often have trains for spares or repairs cheap that can be dismantled and the bits used to get yours going, you need to find a similar model of course.  You may decide it is just as cheap to buy a replacement second hand instead of spending a fortune fixing up what you already have. 

Model railways as a hobby need not be expensive providing you are prepared to do servicing and maintenance yourself.