Intercity 125 Ringfield motor issues

JamesRoc

Being a novice I was rather pleased with myself when I successfully took a Ringfield apart, gave it a good cleaning (including the commutator) and a very light oiling, and put it back on the track for it to run beautifully without the annoying squeal that had manifested previously. Alas my jubilance was short lived as a few hours later the engine wouldn't move from a start when applying power but had to be nudged firmly each time for it to start rolling (also lost some speed). It would continue as long as there was power but each time I stopped it it would not start moving (either way) without help. I took the motor apart again, replaced the 2 springs and brushes but to no avail as exactly the same problem persisted.

Is there a possible fix for this?

It seems difficult to source a brand new Ringfield motor, yes there are some but pre-owned on ebay. Do you know of any sources per chance?

Thanks and regards,

James

No need to get a brand new motor, check if there is any muck build up on the brushes, check the gears for any fluff as well, ringfields are actually decent motors (que the can motor purists) and clean all the pick ups as well. including backs of wheels. 

Lendons of Cardiff had some rewound ones. There was someone on Flea Bay that sent you a rewound one in exchange for your old one and some money. I bought a new one of Lendons, but it might be that the winding has become depached from the commutator plate.