Converting my SCX analog stuff to Scalextric Digital

Gogui96

Hi everyone!

My name is Jorge, and I'm from Valencia, Spain.

First of all, I'm going to explain what's my intention and then ask to you some questions and some advice. I have quite some stuff of analog SCX from 10-15 years ago (Around 20-25 cars and 11m of tracks more or less) The tracks are the old ones, the black coloured with the double loop conections, not the grey ones that came out after.

I want to make the switch into the digital system, because i want to run more than 2 cars at the same time on the same track, and having them running by the control. So with this little explanation, here comes the questions.

1. Scalextric Digital can run a maximun of 6 cars, but having in mind that i want to run the maximum allowed by the system (This will mean that in most cases i would have to put 5 ghost/pace cars on track) Which option is better? The ARC Pro powerbase (C8435) or the Advanced 6 cars Powerbase (C7042) ?

2. Would i be able to use all my SCX analog old tracks on this Scalextric Digital system? I've seen there's converter tracks (C8222) but i'm not sure if there's issues with this tracks on the Digital setup

3. With the retro fit digital chip (C7005) Can I convert my SCX cars into digital system? It seems it's not available at the moment. Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy it again from the webstore? It's quite hard to find Scalextric stuff here on Valencia

4. The Digital 15V transformer (P9300) it's UK only compatible. With an UK to EU adaptor I could use it? Or do I need to make something else to have it compatible? Also, there's any kind of EU transformer?

That's all for today, thanks in advance!

1. Scalextric Digital can run a maximun of 6 cars, but having in mind that i want to run the maximum allowed by the system (This will mean that in most cases i would have to put 5 ghost/pace cars on track) Which option is better? The ARC Pro powerbase (C8435) or the Advanced 6 cars Powerbase (C7042) ?

With the Magic (user-made) App you can run pace cars on ARC PRO. There are more things to consider though (such as wireless controllers)  that I am sure other users can tell you about.

2. Would i be able to use all my SCX analog old tracks on this Scalextric Digital system? I've seen there's converter tracks (C8222) but i'm not sure if there's issues with this tracks on the Digital setup 

If you mean the older SCX track that has 2 spoons/loops on the end that looks exactly as the Scalextric (Classic) track it will technically work but the slot is not as deep AND you would need converters for each digital (lane-changing) section. You cannot use any SCX digital pieces with the Scalextric digital pieces.

The surface of the SCX track is also rougher.

3. With the retro fit digital chip (C7005) Can I convert my SCX cars into digital system? It seems it's not available at the moment. Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy it again from the webstore? It's quite hard to find Scalextric stuff here on Valencia

It should work. Some SCX motors take a high vottage / amp draw that can burn the chip out though.

4. The Digital 15V transformer (P9300) it's UK only compatible. With an UK to EU adaptor I could use it? Or do I need to make something else to have it compatible? Also, there's any kind of EU transformer?

That is not a problem at all.

• 4 years later...

91.09374% of all slot car of any brand can be converted using the retro chip.

You just need the space inside (usually easy except formula cars) and a spot to put the LED ( a 3mm no less than 1 cm behind the guide blade).

Guide blades must be black (high gloss nail polish works well) and you are good to go!