Airfix Vintage Classics - Cutty Sark 1869 1:130 A09253V

Because I find myself self isolated I am returning to modelling after a 50 year break. Because of the gap I have to totally re-equip. I want to attempt Cutty Sark but cannot find what paints I need. I want to order paint with the kit so can anyone out there tell me what Humbrol paint ref numbers I need to order so I don't end up paying two lots of shipping costs.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the link to the plans. At least I know what I am undertaking before I order the kit!!

However despite going through the plan with a fine toothcomb I cannot find any reference to paint colours. Is there a separate list somewhere so I know what to order?

The paint colour Humbrol references are all there on the diagrams, they are the small numbers without the cirles round them, eg on the first diagram the bit that sticks out the bow (I don't know sailing ship terms!) has numbers 33 (matt black) and 22 (gloss white) on it.

That's the Bowsprit.                

Bowsprit - Wikipedia The bowsprit of a sailing vessel is a spar extending forward from the vessel's prow.   The word bowsprit is thought to originate from the Middle Low German word bōchsprēt – bōch meaning "bow" and sprēt meaning "pole".

PS:  Thanks for the link Ratch ....... 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just embarked on the Cutty Sark after not airfixing for 25 years. I wondered if anyone had tips on getting started as it seems the hull does not fit together flush when I cement the two bulkheads in position (parts 1 and 2 on to 18 and 3).

Also, is Humbrol clearfix the right cement to be using for this model? Seems very unstable to me.

Thanks for any thoughts

MIS

Thanks for the link to the plans. At least I know what I am undertaking before I order the kit!!

However despite going through the plan with a fine toothcomb I cannot find any reference to paint colours. Is there a separate list somewhere so I know what to order?

@Returning old duffer

Hi, I had the same issue so ordered a set, unfortunately only one of the required was included. The list of paints/adhesives is on the side of the box - /media/tinymce_upload/d015665ecb8fc3768f54944b7266251a.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Well MIS, I would pick something a bit easier for my first build. Clearfix is for fixing transparencies - you need polystyrene cement for plastic, precision poly, liquid poly, all variations.

Hello Ratch,

Clipping along nicely but had a question about the aft lifeboats - the instructions seem to suggest sticking the oars to the top of the dinghys but images I've seen don't have the oars visible, am I missing something?

Thanks

MIS

You have to remember that the Airfix was tooled in 1967 (about the time I went to see Cutty Sark), and since then there has been a fire and much preservation/restoration work has ensued. I don't know whether the kit was accurate for 1967, but as a modeller, it's up to you whether you follow the instructions religiously or build it as you see fit.