elite won't programme decoder

mickmax

mickmax

Hi. I am only using 2 numbers too programe the decoder the red light flashes 5 times then another 5 times their is nothing wrong with the decoder it will programme on a Select on the Elite it goes back to default of 3.

MickMax,

If I understand the issue you are reporting the 8215 programmes fine with and address between 1 and 99 on the select. when you try and programme on the elite the address defaults to 3.

the early (almost all?) 8215s had a problem where

they reset the address to 3. fw updates were issued that were manifested as different coloured dots on the 8215.

my personal experience is that when I queried Hornby cust care on some 8215 problems they sent me replacement 8249s. I suggest you contact

cust care to eliminate the 8215 problem from the equation.

have you any other decoders you can try and programme from the elite?

I am not sure if we are talking about the same problem here but here is my problem

I have an Elite and a dedicated programming track which is not connected in any way to my layout. I have been trying to assign new loco addresses from the default address

of 03. I have tried connecting to the programming out put and the track output. Working through the Elite handbook I follow the instructions and the red light flashes 8 times. The loco is still assigned 03. I have cleaned the track and cleaned the loco wheels

but nothing works. Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?

Gregd99 said:

MickMax,
If I understand the issue you are reporting the 8215 programmes fine with and address between 1 and 99 on the select. when you try and programme on the elite the address defaults to 3.

the early (almost all?)

8215s had a problem where they reset the address to 3. fw updates were issued that were manifested as different coloured dots on the 8215.

my personal experience is that when I queried Hornby cust care on some 8215 problems they sent me replacement

8249s. I suggest you contact cust care to eliminate the 8215 problem from the equation.

have you any other decoders you can try and programme from the elite?

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply, yes I have 8249 decoders which programme with no problems at all I did a new loco only yesterday to test it, it was fine this problem is only with 8215s luckly I have a Select controller so I can programme them it means

another programming track, but I would like to be able to do it on the Elite

Sorry I should have said the red light flashes 6 times. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same problem here but here is my problem

I have an Elite and a dedicated programming track which

is not connected in any way to my layout. I have been trying to assign new loco addresses from the default address of 03. I have tried connecting to the programming out put and the track output. Working through the Elite handbook I follow the instructions

and the red light flashes 8 times. The loco is still assigned 03. I have cleaned the track and cleaned the loco wheels but nothing works. Can anyone suggest what is going wrong?[/reply]

Hi

Assume you're not trying to give the decoder an address number its not capable of accepting? e.g. early Hornby decoder and some others including the two function from B*****nn can only accept two digit address numbers.

If your trying a two

digit address and it still wont accept, try lightly holding down on the loco during the programming sequence. This is probably easier to do with someone else helping you.

The only other thing is to try a decoder reset. See the decoder manual for the

value required Hornby basic R8249 uses CV8 enter value of 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem in that I cannot program a new decoder. I have an elite with v1.4 which runs a loco on the default address 003. When I try to program a second loco address 004 (or any other address) the red light flashes 5 times as described

in the manual but then immediately flashes another 5 times and doesn't program the decoder. I am using a programming track.

One other point of interest is that even with address 003 I cannot change the loco direction setting as described on page 23. I go

through all the instructions but it doesn't change a thing, so now I am concerned the elite doesn't seem to be able to do anything other than the default settings it came with. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I may be totally wrong on this, as my railway is still under construction, and I haven't powered up my Elite yet, so hopefully someone will jump in and put us all right - but doesn't the Elite require a four digit code to re-programme a chip - ie zero

zero zero four?

With the Elite 1.4, it is possible to program CV29 to short or long addresses - it's supposed to happen automatically. See pp24-25 of the 1.4 Notes for detail. Maybe the address length is not being set automatically and changing it to Short may fix your

problem.

I'm no expert though, still in the "reading the manual" phase with my new Elite.

I'll throw my tuppence worth in on this one. I had a post in the Railmaster forum regarding locos fitted with R8249 decoders being interrogated on the Elite programming track. When the R8249 was being interrogated on CV29 every loco fitted with an R8215

that was on the main track took of at max speed. After I pulled the power from the Elite to halt them all, they had all been reset to address 3 and nothing done via the Elite or Railmaster could readdress them. That's when I posted my thread on Railmaster.

After reading this thread today, I disconnected my Select from the walkabout jack on the Elite, followed the instructions to reset it to factory defaults (it originally showed C5 (Control Station) when powered up without the reset) and was able to readdress

the old R8215 decoders (and reset the acceleration/deceleration levels) quite ok.

So I guess there are some compatibility issues between R8215/Elite/Railmaster. I've got no idea what could be done to fix this if you don't have a Select available.

Cheers,

Codger

I have had this problem many times with the old R.8215 decoders, usually setting the decoder back to factory defaults with the Elite cures the problem and it will then allow it to be programmed.

Interestingly the Saphhire decoders exibit a similar

fault, you can program a loco address into them but if you then want to change the address the decoder refuses to accept the change of loco address. It's again a simple matter of re-setting the decoder back to factory settings and then entering the new address.

Thanks Son Of Triangman. I tried for a long time to get the Elite to reset the R8215 decoders back to default, but no luck. It seemed to me that the decoders could not be read - so the Elite couldn't work out what it had to reset.

The post in this

thread regarding programming the R8215 with the Select controller has been the real answer to re-addressing R8215 decoders. As I said in my earlier post here, if you don't have a Select controller, then I don't know what could be done - although if you have

locos with R8215 decoders, then it's probable there's likely to be the older Select being used somewhere on the layout - if not as the main controller, then as a walkabout.