Applying Humbrol Satin Cote to ship models

Cliverdee

Hi, does anyone recommend applying Humbrol Satin Cote to matt painted ship models. I'm just finishing the Airfix HMS Iron Duke that I've been looking forward to making since I bought it new over 20 years ago; (and getting to open the box for the first time has been one small self reward during this enforced staying home). The recommended colour is Humbrol 27 Sea Grey which makes the model look very dull and matt, and I wondered whether the satin cote would lift the detail a bit and give it more of an authentic wet look .... like a ship that lives in the sea! ... I would be dismayed to make a mess of the model so may test the satin cote first on a separate bit of H27 painted plastic, and just wondered the opinions of those in the know. Thanks a lot 

I always give my ships a gloss lacquer on the upperworks before fixing decals. I airbrush it on trying to restrict it to the white areas where I'll be applying transfers.  When it's all complete - including the photoetch I give it a couple of coats of satin finish. This tends to smooth everything down and an tiny spots which might otherwise shine (as a result of superglue under the etched railings) end up with the same reflectivity giving a very uniform finish.  Not shiny not matt.  Much nicer I think.  I find matt finishes too matt to be realistic.  Dont overdo the satin finish as too many coats will make it glossy.

/media/tinymce_upload/9e1945b92157d243ebb41b8220cb102e.JPG 

Thank you so much... your advice is much appreciated and I feel confident now to apply a satin cote without fear of disaster ! ...I only use brushes for both painting and any varnish, so it's likely to take me a while but I am looking forward to the end result and will try and post a photo when finished. Your model of the Queen Elizabeth is marvellous and I take my hat off to you ! ... in 1960 I was on board a US destroyer, anchored a way out from the harbour, that was a visitor to a Portsmouth Navy Day ... and the Queen Elizabeth passed close by out of Southampton ... what a sight that was for an impressionable 8 year old ! ... My father took some photos which I'll try and post just for interest, but might have trouble due to the type of file... they were originally transparencies. Thanks again and best wishes