Golden Fleece live steam

Paul loco

Hi please can you help , can someone i D the steam valve for me , l’m just lubricating a aera but not sure what l’m looking at , l suspect it’s sticking not going from Red indicator to Green at startup , Many thanks   Paul loco .

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Although not your loco if you have a read of this topic . . . 

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/gwr-51xx/?p=1

. . .  it will give you an insight into which component is which and how they all work together.

The steam valve is the part at the front of the engine with a shaft coming out of it. As the shaft turns it ports steam to the cylinders which are directly under the steam valve.

I have the official Hornby Live Steam manual but as the 00 Live Steam Society says it has errors and they produce a DVD of the manual with the errors corrected. Google Hornby 00 Live Steam Society.

Hi Paul

I think the part you are on about is the main steam valve or the regulator which has 2 ports one for the whistle and one for the engines cylinders.

The lever for this valve has a spring wiper which travels in an arc along a print board track, this board has 2 wired connections one for the Red light and one for the Green light, there is a rod that connects to this lever and switch contact assembly that then links to the servo unit gear box so that when you move the lever on the Hornby controller the servo not only opens the valve but moves the contact switch to light the aproperate light (red or green) the servo unit will also put the engine in forward or reverse gear but will leave that for now 

If you are having trouble with the red and green lights it's one of a few things the main one is the contact becomes detached from the printed board so that no lights red or green will show or only one light comes on.

this can be reset so that the wiper runs in contact with the printed board one fault is the screws come loose and the printed board drops down if so lift the mental bracket and thighten the screws. Put the engine on the track and watch the wiper travel up and down the printed board and see if you now has both red and green lights if only one light is still only working use the controller the move the contact wiper to the other end of the printed board and then using a small screw driver press the wiper down to make contact with the printed board and see if the missing light now comes on 

I will  nip off to my pc and do some pictures of the parts in question as I'm writing this on my iPad.

watch this space.

ken

/media/tinymce_upload/779a75b7a2e08d9c482df45aaee22172.jpg

above is the area that controlls the RED and GREEN lights as i said before in most cases i have found the wiper not making contact with the PCB due to the fixing screws comming loose.

put your engine on the track first and check that the motor and sevo unit are working ok you can do this with the body off and operate the control box lever left then right and watch the wiper travel up and down the PCB the RED and GREEN lights should change as the wiper moves from one end to the other

RED light is steam valve shut and whistle which is the right hand end of the pcb

GREEN light is about centre and the left hand end of the pcb and valve open.

hope this helps track down your problem if not come back here and inform us

Ken