Hornby class 71 lighting question for Hornby Tech

MikesMovies

Hello.

I hope someone from Hornby technical can answer this.

Having acquired a DJ Models class 71 from the original crowd funded run I have always been interested to see how the Hornby model compares.

So one arrived with me yesterday and has just finished its running in period and is now on light test trains.

Overall I am pleased, it seems to run very well albeit with an odd scraping sound.

I run DC only.

I have questions specifically about the lighting.

The headcode box lights seem really dim while weirdly the marker lights are like searchlights.

Is it possible that they have been miss wired and I could simply swap the feeds over?

If not, has anyone studied the PCB to see which resistors are in circuit for the lights?

Another slightly weird issues seems to be that the wheels pick up dirt at an alarming rate, even starting with clean track, is this a known?

Many thanks.

I hope someone from Hornby technical can answer this.

Nobody from Hornby will be reading your question. The forum is only 'user generated content' ... this means 'users' like you and me who are members of the public and nothing to do with Hornby.

In some cases, Rob (RAF96) can use his private access to Hornby tech personnel and can pass specific questions along for their comment, if he feels the question has merit for the wider forum audience.

Personally, I think the model is technically correct. Obviously without seeing the actual brightness you see in the flesh, it is hard to gauge. But I would expect a 'Head Code' box in real life to give just enough light to make the code numbers stand out in the gloom of dusk and darkness. Whereas 'marker lights' I would imagine also need to be visible in bright daylight.

Hornby Tech says the resistors for the cab lights are on their individual circuit boards not on the main PCB.

You can ID the resistor values on the components from this list...

R4 is rear cab

R11 is rear whites

R13 is rear reds

R12 is fromt cab

R14 is front whites

R10 is front reds

• 2 months later...

Mikesmovies

It should be noted that the 2 digit headcode panel on Southern stock was never that bright, indeed there were usually just a couple of 40 watt little bulbs inside the real headcode box.

Marker lights as you have guessed were also not bright, as they were designed to help track workers and others spot an oncoming train, not light up the way ahead for the drivers benefit. Don't forget Britain has always been virtually unique in having a law insisting on trackside fences. So NO unauthorised persons should be on or near any railway track !!!  

The Duke 71000  

the wheels in the 71 do seem to get dirty even with the very clean track not sure why. maybe poor metal used for the wheels?

I have one from the first batch and I had to return the first one for replacement as the lights would flicker all the time and the wheels were always dirty and it was a poor runner  . the replacement is better but still has the wheel issue.