Beginner friendly kits

PanzerMeister12

If you've made the 1/48 stug 111 then you should find the Airfix 1/76 version easy enough PanzerMeister12. The original Sherman tank, still available, is also an easy build. I would say that all the Airfix 1/76 tanks aren't too difficult. The only ones to be a bit wary of are the ones with slightly awkward wheel assemblies; the Churchill's are a bit fiddly and the Panther and Tiger 1 could be a bit confusing for a beginner. Again, if you've already built the King Tiger you should be OK with the last two. Obviously there are kits from other manufacturers that have wheels and tracks as one piece per side, but I find these are more difficult to paint.

As previously mentioned the Churchill is fiddly and so is the Matilda. Most of the rest are reasonably easy, though watch out for basic butt joints on the Classic Tiger 1 (I expect the new version to be much better).

The vinyl tracks can be a pain as the age of the tooling generally means the pins don't fit easily into the holes on the other end and the joint can be fragile. The Cromwell avoids this by using styrene tracks and the only niggle with this excellent kit are the large gates on the components which go over the faces of some of the wheels and mar the finish.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I received my new 1/72 Sherman Firefly yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the parts layout. The kit has two options for the wheel assemblies; either a single piece for each side, as preferred by other manufacturers, or the more usual Airfix method of individual wheels, suspension and tracks. The latter has multi part tracks but uses as few parts as possible, including rounded bits for the front and rear. Definitely better than using individual links. 

Well done Airfix. 

• 1 month later...