Airfix 1:600 WW1 German battleships

Cliverdee

I wish in the old days Airfix had moulded at least one of the German WW1 battleships in 1:600 ... I've just completed my age old Iron Duke that I've had for years and it's a brilliant model and because of the 'constant scale'  and it's very educational to put the 1:600 s alongside each other. The Osprey book publications are really interesting regarding main gun arrangement etc and wish we had at least one Airfix kit in this scale. Ah well .... will never happen but perhaps worth mentioning .... 

The problem lies in the fact that 1/600 is a scale that is pretty much unique to Airfix. In addition, most of the kits are pretty ancient.

Were you to venture into 1/350, all your dreams would be realised with a glut of great kits from ICM, Academy, Trumpeter and others. Airfix themselves have obvioutlying gone this way themselves in recent years.

The problem with 1/350 is that it's too big for a collection of ships. I have almost all of Airfix's 1/600 (and a few by other manufacturers) and they take uop a relatively small space, The are better than 1/700 too being more manageable.

Though everyone says the Airfix range of 1:600 ships is limited I've never come across anyone who buit and displays all of them.   If you're dead keen on a particular ship to 1:600 you can always try scratch building it .....It's not as difficult as you might think. That way you can build companions to your 1:600 fleet.  My particular field is liners ..... having built all the Airfix ones I'm scratchbuilding others. On the slipway at the moment is RMS Campania of 1893.  During WWI she was converted to a carrier .....but of course I'm building her as a liner!  Let's be honest no manufacturer will ever build a kit of her in her liner form!

Yes thanks for ideas and suggestions  ... I like the Airfix 1:600 scale as they are not too complex and the pieces are more easy to handle than 1:700.. the scale also allows me not to be too fussed about trying to replicate railings, radio wires or the tension cables for masts funnels etc ... and I do find they make a fine collection of same scale ships posed side by side. I'm shying away from 1:350 as I feel the scale would require far more detail than I want to do to be completed to make a reasonable model ... a few years back I made the Revell HMCS Snowberry in 1:72 ... i did all the detail needed for such a large scale and it remains my best effort.. but it took 6 months with few distractions so haven't the patience for replicating this again ... at least not right now !