Kit series Nos Vs Flying Hours

Aad Gadgie

According to the information given on this website, the Flying Hours that Airfix Club members can collect depend on which series kit is purchased - Series 1 kits have 1 Flying Hour, series 2 kits have 2, and so on.  The series number is given at the beginning of the kit's serial number, after the letter "A" - A02005 is given as an example of a series 2 kit, with 2 Flying Hours.  This is fair - the more you spend on a kit, the greater its contribution to your Membership rewards.

However, I have kit A05137 in front of me - by the above definition a Series 5 kit, so it should have 5 Flying hours.  It has only 2.  I also have A04016 - Series 4 but, again, only 2 Flying Hours.  A03085, Series 3, only 1 Flying Hour. 

No one else seems to have raised this point - have I missed something?

• 5 months later...

Back in the dim & distant past, Airfix used to actually state on the box what series kit was contained within. Now there is an inconsistent jumble of product numbers, which you are expected to understand, and from which you are supposed to be able to tell which can be obtained via the "Flying Hours" scheme, and which can not, with no clear list anywhere of what you can get, and for how many points. It is (yes, it really is!) a fairly simple matter to produce such a list, and make both the purchase of the kits and club membership more attractive propositions. As a first-time club member (and a life-long Airfix kit builder) I have to say I'm disappointed at how poorly such basic information is presented - or, rather, not presented. Unless something is done to drastically improve the club from its current level, I will not be renewing my membership. I will continue to buy Airfix kits, but I can not honestly say I still have the loyalty to this brand I once had.

There is a logical sequence in the product codes.

A00XXX are HO/00 Figures in the Vintage Classics range.

A01XXX are series one.

A02XXX are series two.

A03XXX are series three, and so forth.

A50XXX are Gift Sets.

If I recall any others I'll post, or if you're not sure just ask.

• 1 year later...

Regards Flying hrs values, are Vehicles included, ie I have 60 Flying hrs, but can I purchase a Tank for example?

They have a value of 3 Flying hrs on the box. I can't however work out whether an A13 coded tank is part of what qualifies regards the series? 1 to 9

Thanks in advance for any help / advice

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, I don't think that the current series of 1/35 tanks and vehicles can be obtained through the "flying hours" system but, like Ratch says you could try Airfix's helpline for more information. You have 60, which is the maximum that you can spend on one kit. For that you can get a series 7, 8 or 9 kit. You have to send payment for postage (£5.95 per "passport") It makes more financial sense to get a series 9 kit, that currently retails for £46.99. I assume that could mix and match a bit, two series 4 kits are 30 tokens each, for example. It's all down to personal choice of course. I'm saving mine for the new 1/48 Avro Anson when it comes out.

The best value redemption for Flying Hours are Group 6 (A06XXX). Each Flying Hour is worth 85p (78p for a Group 9 kit).

Thanks for that Ratch. You're right. I hadn't "done the maths" properly I guess. That said, I'd probably stick with the more expensive kit that I would have to think twice about paying £47 for. It's quite a difference and I might change my mind (I really fancy an Anson in 1/48 though). If you factor in the postage cost (assuming you order just one kit) it's only about 1.6p difference for each token. I need a lie down now......grinning.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...