Membership

Malcy

You will excuse me for saying that is a load of hogwash. All the factors you mention would impact on the cost of the loco, badge and other stuff for UK buyers too. The only thing that has possibly changed is the mail route as my magazines for instance always had an EU postmark, Germany, Switzerland or wherever. I find it hard to believe that mailing it through Europe is cheaper than using the UK Post Office and has this effect on costs. Bachmann has not changed their Membership cost and it still has the same components as before. I notice that Tim@hornby has contributed to this post. Maybe he could enlighten us or is it a secret like the classification of stores?

If you compare the cost of club membership across the various Hornby Hobbies brands you will see that the obvious cost difference is pro-rata the cost of supplying the ‘free’ model. The other main difference is the cost of getting the club magazine to your doorstep wherever in the world that is.

A simple solution would be if the club cost was a basic membership fee to enable member discount and to cover the admin costs and member gifts like the pin badge, etc, then the annual club model (across brands) could be at a discounted fixed price if you wanted to buy it and the magazine could be a members digital download which would open the door for extra content over the (possibly then discontinued) paper version.

NMRA has been running a similar system for donkeys years, as has BRM magazine.

@Potter

I may see things in a different light than do the Hornby management who set these affairs up.

Like the rest of the forum Mods (across all brands) I am an unpaid volunteer who simply wishes to add to my hobby by looking after the forum, which often involves attempting to keep control of those posts which can at times become political, personal or simply out of hand.

Finding out where to draw the line in the sand on these occasions can be an onerous task, but at times Hornby management will make that decision for us and strike out such content or ban a member if necessary - as is their privilege being the forum owners. Their forum, their rules.

If a member has such strong views on a particular topic or problem, then the forum may not be the best place to air it. Hornby management direct email addresses have been posted on the web site several times in the past, therefore any such matter should be addressed to them for consideration rather than venting one’s spleen at the members.

• 1 month later...

Just received my renewal membership package to Canada from the competition. Wagon, membership card and badge etc. and it didn't get charged by Customs - not expensive enough for them to bother. Cost is similar to Hornby used to be for World Wide membership. I think Hornby are getting advice from the wrong people. Too bad.