More Tank Engines

Tony57

I know there are still a number of large engine types still to be made, but is it about time that Hornby started to look at the humble 0 6 0T, 2 6 2T, 0 6 2T and 2 6 0T, tank engines like Western Pannier and Small Prairie, LMS Jinty and Ivatt 2 6 2t SR R1, LNER ? ( don't much about LNER Tanks) and the standard small tank locomotives.

In many cases these were the backbone of the railways, shunting, moving coaching stock for express locos, local passenger and goods workings as well as working the branch lines which fed the main lines.

I agree, but until quite recently Hornby tended to focus on bigger tender engines, with Bachmann making some of the smaller tanks (LMS 1F and 3F, for example). More recently, with things like the very popular Peckett tanks, Hornby have started producing smaller locos. If the quality is right, people are prepared to pay quite a lot for a tank engine e.g. the Pecketts cost about the same as the Railroad Pacifics and Cock o' the North but are a fraction of the size.

Personally I would love an LNER J67/68/69.

The current Hornby catalogue features 10 different tank engines, 1 LMSR, 1 LNER, 2 GWR, 2 Industrials, and 5 SR.

L&Y class 28 0-4-0ST

LNER J50 0-6-0T

GWR 42xx 2-8-0T

GWR 51xx/61xx 2-6-2T

Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

LBSCR A1 / A1X 0-6-0T

SE&CR H 0-4-4T

LSWR M7 0-4-4T

LSWR 0415 4-4-2T

Bachmann have the following 6 in their current catalogue

NER J72 0-6-0T

GWR 94xx 0-6-0PT

LNWR Coal tank 0-6-2T

L&Y Class 5 2-4-2T

BR 3MT 2-6-2T

LMSR 4MT 2-6-4T

Hornby is therefore ahead in numbers although availability may be an issue with both.

OK adding my two penneth. Considering that Hornby have ventured into the industrial scene with their Pecketts' as well as Austerities [in recent years], how about a crane tank, like this one from Doxfords' shipyard. Southwick in Sunderland and seen preserved at the old museum at Dinting, run by the Bahamas Locomotive Society before it closed and they moved to the Worth Valley.

forum_image_6051000987c1d.thumb.png.459b3fcaad681693cee6ec5b8349f43c.png

A locomotive crane is yet another possibility. Some works premises used these rail mounted cranes for shunting instead of locomotives. With a bit of ingenuity the crane could be made to jib, luff and rotate by DCC control as well.

The "Dinky Supertoys" Coles Crane would be an attractive candidate.

forum_image_6051d635716c4.thumb.png.10606c3147170a5dbc0494d795f3fd49.png

NCB Ashington Northumberland

forum_image_6051d63ba86b2.thumb.png.3e7cd0bd66ba7f25e53f29725712f42d.png

Standard Wagon Co, Heywood, Lancashire

• 3 weeks later...

To add to my previous post about "crane tanks,"it wasn't just the industrial outfits that had them. The mainline outfits also had them too, granted they tended to be used at the various railway works. Rather than out and about hauling regular trains on the network, though they may have been used by the p.way department when working out on the line........

• 1 year later...