cleaning a loco

train5678

Hi everyone, I have had my trains for some while now, however I have not oiled them yet, and was just wondering if a normal oil such as 'WD40' is ok, or if a lighter oil is needed. If anybody could help that would be great, thanks.

WD40 or 3-in-One should never be used on your models. Use only lubricants that are specially formulated for model railways such as the Gaugemaster or Labelle range. Some locos use oil, others use special grease. Some never need lubricating. Check the instructions that came with your model.

DO NOT USE WD40.  It softens plastics and dries to a thick gummy goo.  There are special oils available from model shops.  They're not cheap but should last a long time as you only need the tiniest drop, applied on the end of a pin or straightened out paper clip.  The old saying is "if you can see the oil, theres too much"

WD40 came about in the 1960's. In those days it was like a wonder drug could cure all. But over the years it has shown just how bad it is at doing somethings and one of them is lubricating fine machines. The WD in WD40 stands for WATER DISPERSANT which was it's main use when invented (supposedly for the NASA space program). That's why it's good on car igniton system as it drives out the wet from the distributor cap, very handy on an old Mini. Problem is that it eventually turns into a gunky mess as it attracts dust and fluff to it which set. As advised use a plastic friendly spray to get rid of old oil and then apply a small amount of the proper stuff, keep WD40 and 3 IN 1 next to your lawn mower not your locos and rolling stock

Archived