Western Hydraulics

Stubaggieboy

Hi

I to love the Western Region's Hydraulics as well as the Class 52 but also the Class 42 and Class 35

I have 12 Trix / Lilliput Westerns and 1 Hornby Western

1 Mainline Class 42

3 Triang / Hornby Class 35

Not sure about super detailed as others are making them I would love some class 35 42 and 52s in railroad standard in Maroon and Green

Hi Tony, What is the point of a Railroad version of a class 52 as there would be no improvement on the 70’s 80’s model. I am talking about a quality loco equivalent to Bachmann diesels with lights all wheel pick up and drive and hello Hornby take note fitted driver in cab. Railroad are in my opinion very basic and toy looking and the major dislike is dreaded traction tyres. I appreciate another manufacturer has released a version of this loco but nowhere near up to the standard I get from Bachmann or expect from Hornby.

Regards, Stu.

I can't see Hornby making a new class 52. As others have said, there are already updated models, by Heljan and Dapol, I believe. I only own one Heljan diesel but it runs so beautifully I can't imagine anyone could improve on it.

When Hornby and Lima released their Westerns at the same time I went for the Lima version which I though was far superior, and I ended up with a second one that I got very cheaply. Presumably Hornby have the Lima body moulds now and could release an updated model with an up to date chassis in the railroad range, as long as they got rid of that horrible huge lamp that was for some inexplicable reason moulded on the front of the Lima western.

I think it’s be pretty pointless them putting a lot of development into a new model since as noted above, Heljan and Dapol have already done a pretty good job of it.

The Warship may be a better choice, especially if it could be designed to represent the first few members of the class without the head code boxes because as far as I know no-one has done this to date. I have a very basic Lima one, again presumably Hornby have the moulds, and a Mainline one which doesn’t run great unless the wheels are spotless, and which for some reason has a lot of unprototypical rivets on the roof??? I don’t have a Trix one to compare, was it to 4mm scale or the hybrid OO/HO scale they used for some locos?

I am more than happy to run my old Tri-ang Hymeks with their short wheelbase and 1960s detailing. They will last forever.