Using the HM6010 with LEDs issue

Guest Chrissaf

Moderator comment: First time poster Brian placed the post below in the 'BUG & Improvements' sticky post by mistake. It has been moved here into a brand new dedicated thread of his own.

I purchased a HMDC 6010 and a Hornby power supply.........wired it correctly to a 12v led with a resistor........nothing......checked the led with a 9v battery, the led lit up fine. So it wasn't the led or the wrong resister !!!..Contacted Tech Support...they tried to be clever ... I sent them some pictures of how I had wired up the led (first e-mail I sent I didn't get the photos on, they texted back and said had I not used the resistor when I sent the pictures......(I have their e-mail )... wish they had said that stood infront of me).

Have tried for two weeks to fix it myself........I actually got it to work for two hours..all good...turned it back on later and it didn't work again !!!

I have a BT router downstairs, my 6010 is in an upstairs bedroom and I am using an I-phone 7........sometimes two, sometimes three bars on my wi-fi connection......would a wi-fi signal booster help ? thanks BB

Brian,

Could you post the images you sent to Tech Support here in this thread for all to see. I also suggest you post some screen grabs of the HM6010 configuration screens from the APP so that we can see how you have configured the APP to operate your LEDs.

Could you give a brief description of what you are trying to achieve. What is this LED [or LEDs] going to be used for?

Please also state the Ohms Ω Value of your resistor that you are using with this LED?

As far as I am aware, the HM6xxx only uses wireless Bluetooth communication directly between your iPhone7 and the HM6010 so your Wi-fi home network status should be irrelevant. 96RAF will confirm or not this to be the case.

Note that posted images will be held back for moderator approval and will not appear straight away.

Brian,

Humour me with this one.

I have noticed that the HM6010 Quick Guide shows a street lamp LED product connected to the HM6010 port with a RED wire in terminal A and a BLACK wire in terminal C. Normal convention is to use red and black to denote positive and negative polarity. However, the C terminal on the HM6010 is positive and not negative and the A & B terminals are switched negatives [or 'Terminal A' is permanently negative if configured for lights]. LEDs will not light up if connected to power the wrong way round. I believe the HM6010 Quick Guide is at best misleading [as the voltage polarity of the terminals is not actually stated] and at worst, just plain wrong by showing a red wire and not black in 'Terminal A' on the connector. Try reversing your LED connection to the HM6010 port making sure that the positive of the LED is on the HM6010 port C terminal and see what happens.

EDIT: After reporting this issue to Hornby, we [mods] have been advised that the current published HM6010 Quick Guide is indeed wrong and has now been edited to correct the error [the error being that the red and black wires are shown the wrong way round]. It may take a while for the website download version to be updated. The printed version included with the product will be updated in the next production run. In the meantime, the image below is an extract of the updated version provided to us [mods] by Hornby showing the red and black wires the correct way round.

forum_image_60a2a9e9075b6.png.c47c62493e7e62fe923eca276aaccac0.png

In response to Chris’s request for confirmation about the router.

You do not need a router to use HM|DC. All communication between your device and the module(s) is done direct using BlueTooth (either in Mesh or BLE mode) not WiFi.

Your phone may be connected to your router by Wifi but that is nothing to do with this application. All it means is your phone is using your house broadband service to connect to the internet instead of burning off its own data doing so.

You say you had it working previously. Are we talking about the 6010 module connecting to the app or are we talking about the led actually working with the HM6010 module.

If you still cannot get your HM6010 module to work, then you should follow the troubleshooting guide linked to at the top of the HM|DC forum page.

Failing that, come back to us with the info Chris requested about the LEDs wiring etc.