Old and new [traditional vs HM6000]

Geoff-1215523

Hi everyone, I have acquired a 1970s set but without a controller and transformer. I have seen the traditional controller (plus transformer) I could buy but was also considering the App based analogue controller to use with my tablet or mobile phone. Am I right in thinking that either should work even though the track and locomotive are from the 70s?

The 6000 module is powered by a 1-amp PSU and has a twin track output so limited current available at the track as with many other basic controllers. It may be the module will output more than 1/2amp on each channel, but I have no firm data to support that at present, apart from the module has an internal self-resetting ‘fuse’ rated at 1.5-amp.

The product support page lists the Scalextric 1.2-amp or the larger 4-amp PSUs as alternatives to the standard P9000 but this does not mean the module is capable of using all of that current.

You would have to do a motor current stall check on your elderly locos to see if they fall within the control module limits, noting that you would not be drawing this level of current all the time.