Henry’s Tender is causing it problems

rman

Hi 2 years ago I bought a Hornby Henry. Henry is loco driven and recently I have noticed that his tender has been causing it some problems. Sometimes he can pull trains and sometimes he can’t. I made pull 6 mk1 coaches one day and he struggling to pull them in one direction but he no problems pulling the other direction. I made him pull some wagons he no problems with them. Recently I made him pull 4 4 wheel coaches sometimes he couldn’t pull them and sometimes he couldn’t. So what’s is that whenever he pulls something he stops in one place but he’s wheels are moving but he’s not moving. Also he’s sometimes stops and start. One day I decided to make Henry run without his tender and noticed that Henry no problems without the tender. It’s only he runs with the tender that problems arise.

Although the motor is on the loco chassis, there are pick-ups on the tender wheels so the loco is fitted with an electrical drawbar. Check that:-

a) loco - the jaw contacts below the drawbar are tightly gripping the pin at the front of the tender chassis and that the finger contacts above the drawbar are making good contact with the plate surrounding the tender pin without touching that pin. Adjust if necessary.

b) tender - the wheels rotate freely. If they don't, check the positioning of the finger contacts on the backs of the leading and trailing wheels to ensure they are making good contact with the wheel rims and not getting caught in the spokes. Adjust if necessary. If the axle bearings are dry, a very small amount of model oil applied where the axles pass through the chassis block may also help.