Thomas the Tank Engine has stopped working

Dex261

Good morning

The problem I have is that my Thomas engine just stopped working. It is a Christmas present for my grandson and the seller told me to run it in before handing it over. I was doing just that, running it around the oval, when it just stopped. I checked the track, which was fine, and when I replaced the engine, it appeared to short out and the controller shut down. I have tried holding a 9 volt battery on the wheels as has been suggested in the forum discussions but the motor will not run. The engine has hardly been used since the original purchase brand new and I have probably run it for no more than an hour. I hope this is not terminal for Thomas!

Welcome to the forum; sorry to hear of your problem.

First reaction is to suggest returning it to the seller for refund or replacement.

If you do not wish to follow that course, can you please advise the Hornby R-number of the loco.

Have you checked that no foreign bodies have been picked up which might cause a short-circuit between the wheels and the chassis, for example?

Hi and thanks for your response.

I’m new to HORNBY and can’t see an R number, but removing the body shell I found S.4581 on the chassis and 7754 on the motor brush housing. I am certain there are no foreign bodies between wheels and chassis. Returning to seller is not an option really.

Thank you.

Given return to sender is not an option and with the likelihood the motor is toast then scroll down this page to see X8809 motor and read to see if it is suitable for your version of the fairly universal 0-6-0 chassis.

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares_motors_and_gears.htm

I would however be removing the motor and doing further diagnostics as it may be as simple as a displaced pickup wiper. Looking at the motor assy will help you with this.

Those spider legs are the pickup wipers and this is the DCC-Ready version, but note some chassis mods may be required to fit to earlier chassis.

forum_image_616887f791673.thumb.png.7106bdbede5bdc7d1ad3667963c26926.png

Gosh that looks just the job, thank you very much for your help. I’ll check it out more thoroughly tomorrow morning and if it is right, I’ll order one (and a DCC blank) . This is an analogue train set.

I’ll have one very happy grandson too!

Thanks so much again for your help. I feel much better now!