Call for L&YR

Fazy

One major railway company missing is the good old L&YR, no stock from any manufacturers which I can find. Locomotives only two available the Bachmann 2-4-2t a lovely model and I have a couple but a 2-4-2t’s alone do not make a railway. The other model is the L&YR pug originally Airfix dating back to late 1970’s. Though a good model in its day it’s showing it’s age and the lack of DCC is a major downer.

So come on Hornby how about some new L&YR locomotives many lasted into BR ownership. And others have a character and would stand out nicely one any layout.

Classes which could be

Medium goods

Aspinall 0-6-0 490 built

Barton Wright 0-6-0 280 built

Passenger

Apinall 4-4-0 two classes to pick from. 6’ and 7’3” driving wheels

Shunting

Aspinall 0-6-0 st 230 built.

I would have to add a dreadnaught to the list, the original version plus the much improved version and could be made in L&Y, LMS and one lasted into BR days. The same chassis could be made to produce the Baltic tank version of the locos in L&Y and LMS.

One would look great on a model of Chorley Station on a Blackpool to Manchester express!grinning

I fear it is unlikely that pre-grouping types will appear in large numbers because they will always sell less than the Big 4 and British Railways types. The best we can hope for is one or two examples from the larger companies, like the Midland, London & North Western, Great Northern and Great Western. Even the massive North Eastern Railway has generally been overlooked with Hornby only offering the T2 0-8-0 in recent years. The smaller lines, especially those which didn't touch London have limited, albeit vociferous, support.

If one limits themselves to one manufacturer then the choices will be even worse.