Linking 2nd and 3rd radius ovals via R615 Diamond Crossing [based on Thomas Set]

Albi1

My autistic grandson had a Thomas set for Christmas that I have set up for him on a 6’ x 4’ layout that folds up against his bedroom wall (with 6.5” clearance for fixed buildings etc). The back or the layout runs in a tunnel created with a Metcalfe retaining wall and tunnel entrance kits.

I would now like to create a continuous double circuit using a R615 Diamond Crossing and 2nd radius curves and straights if this is possible. The inner circuit will be forward of the retaining wall requiring a larger than standard spacing from the outer circuit along the back run.

What extra track other than the standard oval plus short siding that came with the Thomas set, is needed to achieve a smooth run given that the outer radius becomes the inner radius and vice versa at the crossing. I already have some 2nd radius curves and the crossing. Also would it all run electrically with a single connection point from the one controller?

As is very typical, a person describing a design in words visualises in their minds eye what they are describing. Others who only have the words to go by, really struggle to fully understand the design being described. This is a case in point - see sketch comment further below.

If you download the free evaluation copy of either SCARM or AnyRail, [track planning software] then you can try out various designs and see what fits and what doesn't. When you have a layout design that works on screen then the software generates a track parts list.

Links for SCARM and AnyRail can be found in the 'Useful Links' sticky thread located at the top of the 'General Discussion' forum. Personally, I use and find SCARM easy to master, but others say the same about AnyRail.

Once you have a design that you want to continue with, post a 'screen-grab' of it back here and it can be assessed for where power should be applied and wired.

If you cannot master SCARM / AnyRail, then sketch out what you are trying to achieve and post an image of the sketch, then I am sure members with the software will do the 'grunt work' for you.

Note that images are held back for approval and will not appear straight away

Hi

What you are describing sounds like you want to make an inverted figure of 8 track

The basic track requirement is as follows

1x R614/5 Diamond crossing

2x R 643 curves

8x R609 Double Radius 3 Curves

7x R697 Double Radius 2 Curves

1x R606 Radius 2 curve

1x 601 double straight

Start from the diamond crossing lay it so the tracks are at an angle attach the 2 R643 curves to the bottom legs then attach 4 R609 to each side of the R643s in a semi circle connect the two halves with the double straight.

Make a circle of the Radius 2 double curves attach one end to one of the top legs of the diamond crossing attach the single curve to the other leg them join the other end of the R2 circle to the single curve to complete the circle.

This basic inverted figure of 8 can be modified by adding equal amounts of straight track

Hope this is helpful.

Tony57. Thank you for your response. I haven’t as yet checked out what you are suggesting but from your description of an inverted figure of 8 it does seem that you have misunderstood my requirement. What I am after is a second radius oval INSIDE a third radius oval but swapping over via the diamond crossing so that the third radius continues after the crossing as second radius until it once again reaches the crossing on its other branch and becomes third radius again. Not two ovals joined side by side to form an 8. More like the @ sign that this keeps going to when I sketch my idea of the layout. The crossing can be anywhere but the back run but would most conveniently be on one of the curves as I want to put a station on the rather short length of straight on the near side. I should mention that the layout has working access through a hole in the centre as there is no way my grandson would reach anything near the back without climbing on the layout without it.

Tony57. The layout as it stands. It is basically work in progress as it had to be made away from its location and built in secretly in the week before Christmas. Everything forward of the tunnel is subject to change.

forum_image_61d479206a072.thumb.png.79c8347b8d4b4f9506fe0b06527aea62.pngforum_image_61d47929564e4.thumb.png.66896a0cfaf76b76a14ec5a8bb8cb2a0.png

Precisely why I suggested that you posted a sketch of what you mean.

What you are trying to create may not be physically possible using Hornby set track pieces as the range of Hornby set track pieces is very limited.

The reason why I suggested SCARM and/or AnyRail as the software allows various ideas to be tried and checked for suitability without having to purchase any track.

Hi all. Yes that is what I am after but there doesn’t seem to be a track piece to make the final connection smoothly when making the inner oval a second radius. Tony57 your suggested track using R-619 looks as though it uses a first radius inner oval/circle but what track pieces made to connections to the diamond crossing?

Chrissaf, I am using iPad and so far have not been able to download SCARM.

Part of my reason for wanting this particular feature is down to to way my autistic grandson plays. He loves to be at eye level to the track, and loves repetition, hence the continuous double loop. Although he copes ok with points I am trying to avoid too many of them and limiting them to sidings.

Chrissaf, I am using iPad and so far have not been able to download SCARM.

SCARM is Windows only application, I believe AnyRail does a Mac version, but I assume that will not run on an iPad. The iPad, I assume, also limits your options for posting a sketch. But could you not draw the sketch on a sheet of A4 paper then photo it with the iPad for posting?

Tony57. Sorry, I’ve re-read your original post and now see that it is a second radius inner loop. I would like it to be an oval roughly parallel to the outer loop. What, if possible would that add to what you have done with R-619? Also, could the diamond crossing be on the left or right curves to free up what little straight I have on the near side for the points siding?

Thank you Chrissaf, Other respondents seem to now understand what I want. I have an assortment of old track and during the construction of the layout I did briefly have the double loop up and running but only by cutting a piece of track to fill the final gap and not happy that all other joints were as they should be. At that I ran out of time and reverted to the basic Thomas track plus a short extension to the supplied siding so that it was ‘finished’ for Christmas. Even then I added the scratch built platform and a couple of backdrop houses after the big reveal.

Hornby make "flex" and "semi flex" track for these type of situations. Can't remember the R stock code numbers off hand. The semi flex is stiffer than flex track and both can be cut to the required length to fit the gap. Being flexible they can bend to create the radius curve you want. To the best of my recollection, they come without track joiners which need to be purchased separately.

Hi

Is this what you are looking for?

Yes the plan I used rad 1 and rad 2 curves because there is only 3 rad 3 double curves in the pack plus 3 Rad 3 curves, once you understand track geometry you just replace Rad 1 with Rad 2 and Rad 2 with Rad 3 curves. The plan stays the same only its slightly larger because the track length are largerforum_image_61d5d9e872b85.thumb.png.1ed3944463aa4539c7eeef2c0d99fea5.png