DCC Sound continues!!

Bulleidboy

Not a serious problem at all, by on my R2898XS Schools Class "St.Pauls" 30909 the sound continues for up to five minutes after I have turned the sound off. It does not happen on other models. This is one of the earlier Hornby "sound" models with a Loksound decoder. Is this a particular feature on this model?

Hi Howard - as I said it is not a serious problem at all. I ran the loco today, and switched on the sound using my Elite, and when I turned the sound off (several attempts), it kept running. On other loco's, you hit the button and it's off. I can live with it, but was interested to know whether this was a feature of this particular loco - as you said "it could be old age!" BB

For some reason LokSound decoders seem to do this. I don't usually buy LokSound decoders, but on the ones I have bought second hand they definitely do it. I don't know why, it is as if it is using the data from the last DCC run, before accepting the new DCC data.

All my locos are fitted with Loksound decoders [two of them Hornby XS], yes the shut down sound sequence can be longer than expected but not (in my case) taking 5 minutes. The longest shut down sequence with my locos is no more than 20 to 30 seconds.

Have you got "stay alive" fitted, that would have an effect. I don't know if the older versions had more issues, from what you describe it sounds like a Version 3.5 version, I think that is what Hornby fitted originally to their models. If it is like my 3.5 version it uses a 100 ohm speaker, so less current used so any "stay alive" will last longer.