Seriously Dirty Track In Need Of Repair, Any Help?

LNER363

Hello Guys,

I have recently come in to a large haul of Scalextric Track, the track came in appalling condition as had not been properly cleared up (Paint from a previous landscape layout, and very dull grey track) I have been trying to get through most of the track with abrasive rubbers recommended by Scalextric, these quite frankly did nothing towards the dirty track, quite obviously coated in a thick layer of gunk. I then turned my attention to extremely fine, like seriously soft glass paper, this did have an effect, but was wearing the track down, still not very good electrical contact between the cars and making the car brushes extensively dirty therefore not making them work. I have found a video on YouTube about using WD-40 and scotch pads, i have not tested this theory out, as I am not hundred percent sure of this theory! It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some tips and help!

Thanks! 🙂

You mean the plastic?
If you are dipping in a solution it depends on the solution.
Cola will not hurt it though ti might remove the paint.
Using a rubbing compound you would have to mask the plastic off...

Thankyou very much, this is a massive help!

• 4 months later...

Good evening

I had a load of classic track which was rusty, I did some research online and ended up trying 2 of the many suggestions I read about, the first was to soak the track in malt vinegar and baking soda, lots of fizz but very little in the way of a clean track. The 2nd method was time consuming but the result was a lot better than I’d expected, using a dremel with some small abrasive flap wheels the results were encouraging, however once the track was connected and power added there were dead areas of track. I lost patience and purchased new or nearly new Sport track, which was surprisingly cheap if you search long enough on evilbay.

if anyone has a sure fired way to clean rusty track quickly please let me know, otherwise I’ll be advertising all my classic track on evilbay at a bargain basement price.

Andrew.

• 5 months later...

Don't know if anyone has tried this yet but it works on rusty metal generally. Mix molasses (available in health food shops) with hot water and leave the metal soaking in it. It removes rust but does not damage metal. Painting it on the track might have the same effect, If I get chance I'll try a full soak and paint on method on some rusty track.