Loco spec data lengths

I have noticed some of the Loco Spec data contain some numbers I am not expecting. I have some limited space on my shelf so interested in lengths of models to be sure it will fit. Having looked at the data recently some of the A4 models are 29.1cm and others are 36.2cm. The description states unpacked measurement.. but did they measure it while it was in the box separated from the tender or are they longer models?

I have reported numerous product dimension issues to Hornby as I have found them. Most of the ones I have reported have since been corrected. My conclusion to this is that website documented dimensions just cannot be relied upon for being accurate. It seems to me that there is no standard policy being applied by the staff members creating the documented information, it seems that some use packaging dimensions, some use product dimensions, then to cap it all, enter those dimensions in the wrong data fields in the web page creation tools they use.

It's a complete mess.

The only positive comment I can add, is that Hornby have acknowledged with the mods that the dimension info (and other published data) is a complete mess and have indicated that a project will be implemented internally within Hornby to try and resolve it. No timescales for this project have been intimated, but based upon previous experience, it will be slow to materialise.

I undertook to check the website entries and have so far provided Hornby with 5 pages of what seem to be desirable or necessary corrections for clarity and downright incorrect information being displayed, and those cover just train sets, train packs and locomotives. There is little evidence that their scrutiny has brought about much improvement as yet.

Although it has to be used with some care, Wikipedia (and other websites) offer a wealth of information covering the real railway - Hornby themselves appearing to use it! For example, it quotes the length of the A4 as 71ft and 3/8in. At 4mm to the foot, 71ft equates to 28.4cm so, allowing, say, 5mm for the extra unprototypical distance between loco and tender, the model length is likely to be of the order of 28.9cm so the 29.1cm quoted on the website is the more accurate measurement. The real loco dimension would be over buffers so allowance may also need to be made for the distance that the model's tension-lock couplings project beyond the buffers if that is critical to your calculations.

@daryll

There are hundreds and hundreds of product pages to check and amend and that is after a standard format has been agreed for each product type. I think even an enthusiast would wilt if offered that job. A typical Forth Bridge painting exercise, it will never be finished.