Hi, I recently got back into modelling and I am working on a B-25 Mitchell Bomber and wanted to try and make it look as realistic as possible. The problem I have is that I hand brush my planes and I want to paint the canopy for the cockpit so it looks more realistic. The only idea I have is to either "wing" it ;), and get some paint on the glass, or to try and put masking tape on the pieces I don't want to paint on, however, it is very small and tight and I'm not sure if I would be able to do it. Please help!

Canopy masking for brushing is no different to masking for airbrushing, you need good masking tape and a fresh blade with a sharp tip. I recommend the best yellow kabuki type tape you can lay your hands on. There's two ways you can approach it, either cut the tape into thin strips and lay it on up to the frame lines and trim the ends to fit, or cut a piece roughly to size, stick it on to the canopy and burnish into the frame lines, then score around the burnished line and remove the tape from the framing. A cocktail stick is useful for burnishing. If you've used the thin strip method you can use more tape to infill the glazing, or use a liquid masking medium. Once the paint has dried, score around the edges of the framing with the blade, this will prevent any paint that's on the tape from taking the paint on the framing with it when you remove the tape.

If masking doesn't appeal, then you might consider getting some clear decal film. Paint it with the required colour, cut into frame sized widths and apply normally as a decal.

All my canopies are painted freehand, using acrylic paint, and a good fine brush (size 0 or below). I do go over the edges, but after the paint is fully dry I scrape off any overspill with a sharp wooden cocktail stick, as this easily removes the paint, but does not scratch the clear part. This can be done with enamel paint as well, but is much harder to remove.

Another tip with painting canopies id to first paint the inside cockpit colour, then the outside colour. This way when you look through the canopy it looks like the frames are painted on the inside as well.

Below is a photo of a freehand painted canopy in 1/72.

forum_image_621f5371cd13c.thumb.png.f521594ad5f73c1a06245348e616f9a2.png

All my canopies are painted freehand, using acrylic paint, and a good fine brush (size 0 or below). I do go over the edges, but after the paint is fully dry I scrape off any overspill with a sharp wooden cocktail stick, as this easily removes the paint, but does not scratch the clear part. This can be done with enamel paint as well, but is much harder to remove.
Another tip with painting canopies id to first paint the inside cockpit colour, then the outside colour. This way when you look through the canopy it looks like the frames are painted on the inside as well.
Below is a photo of a freehand painted canopy in 1/72.

forum_image_621f5371cd13c.thumb.png.399753042a1388ae1c2f21a6c1429242.png

Thanks! Just wondering, which company do you buy your brushes from, and do you hand paint your plane or do you airbrush it?