Reviews of Airfix products

Ken Innes

Just wondering if anyone has posted a review of an Airfix product that has not appeared on the site?  I have posted "less than flattering reviews" of a couple of their "vintage" 1/76 soldiers and they've not been shown on their respective pages. I've tried to offer constructive criticism, but it seems that they don't like anything other than flattery.

There's nothing to stop anybody from posting a review here, with the caveat that you need to bear in mind the clause in the forum rules:

• "While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation."

That's the bottom line, these are the Airfix web pages, they're entitled to post or restrict content in any way they deem fit. It's neither a democratic platform, nor a consumer advisory service. If you're seeking objective reviews I can think of better places to look for them.

The review being questioned is not one in the forum but in the shop website that asks for reviews on specific kits. My comments and criticism is of them and not the forum. Although what I said in the forum I hope Airfix would take on board about the reviews in its shop pages. If the reviews are not to be truthful or accurate then they are a waste of space. I stand by my comments relating to the shop website. I take all reviews in any website with a pinch of salt. I haven’t found any website that is not biased in some way. However I believe if Airfix want people to believe in the company and buy their products then honesty and accuracy is most productive. If they don’t then why buy their products?

I know the website is being referenced, I'm saying there's nothing stopping anybody from posting a review or critique here on the forum. I get what you're saying about the website, but it's their property, they get to call all the shots, the punter, none. My honest opinion is that the customer reviews make diddly squat difference to the amount of product Airfix sell, whether or not the review is positive or negative in nature. I'd bet my mortgage (actually I don't have one) that punters rarely read them and even if they did they'd make very little difference to buying intentions. Taking a case in point, the Bf 109G is about to be released for the third time since debut in 2009. It's hardly an optimum kit, but the fact that it's yet again on release suggests to me that it's a sure fire seller.

Hi Peebeep
So unless you are an employee of the company I wonder why you defend it so vigorously. I have tried to follow on this forum for my own interest and my past belief that Airfix was an honest company. Couple of times I have wanted to give up on this forum but have come back. Really beginning to wonder why I am wasting my time.

I can assure you that Paul is not an employee either. We both have a soft spot for Airfix from different angles. Paul is an experienced modeller whose advice is always helpful.

I wonder why you would want to give up on this community? None of us work for Hornby, we just like building Airfix kits. If you want advice we'll try to help, and we will try to explain how the Toy Trade works (because that's what this - Airfix - traditionally is). My first work career was with a company called Mettoy (who made Corgi cars), so I have some insight into how the business works. Modellers tend to make decisions with their hearts, but in this business decisions are made with a cold heart. There was a good hour long interview with Dale Luckhurst (Airfix Brand Manager) last week and he was explaining how he has to convince the moneymen that new projects can be justified - nothing really changes.

Please don't take Paul's response as a personal criticism Rod. He was merely trying to explain that Airfix control the content and are unlikely to let any unfavourable criticism stand.

I'm not sure why you think that others' views are personal attacks. They are just different views. We all have our own position on everything from the best paint to the most accurate kit of any given subject. These are mostly subjective. Unfortunately, we cannot control who responds to any post, whether we agree with that response or not. But providing posts conform to Site Rules they will stand. We all do things differently and by giving those different methods and views allows readers to learn and maybe discover a better way of doing things. Your experiences may help someone along the way.

One thing I've learnt in modelling is to keep an open mind. Don't be afraid to try different products and methods. Some will work for me and those that don't get discarded. I'm not a stickler for accuracy - more of an impressionist modeller - but I build for myself and not to enter competitions where I might have to build to the expectations of others. Fun and enjoyment is what this hobby should be about, however we get there.

I hope you continue enjoying the hobby and post your builds here. It is always good to see what other have achieved in their builds.

Please don't take Paul's response as a personal criticism Rod. He was merely trying to explain that Airfix control the content and are unlikely to let any unfavourable criticism stand.

Precisely that. Any views that I've expressed are from a position of neutrality whilst based on pragmatism. If anybody is accusing me of being a fanboy I'd be happy to put them straight, off the board, but you can't do that on this platform.

What were the names of the figures did you not like?
Just curious what was wrong with them and what they were.

They were the WW1 American infantry (they are depicted in action wearing their "Montana" hats which were never worn in combat in WW1. There are other details wrong but that one is so glaring that it can't be ignored. I also tried to review their re-release of the WW2 Russians. These figures are really showing their age (they were fist molded in 1964) and aren't really up to standard these days. I suggested that Airfix might look at producing more new sets of 1/76 figures, possibly using the 1/32 figures as a template as they did when they replaced old sets of German Infantry, US Marines/Infantry, 8th Army and the wonderful Afrika Korps figures (their British Commandos were renewed but the new molds have been lost or destroyed so they went back to the old set). Their Japanese, Infantry, British Paratroops and Russians are way overdue for an "overhaul". I know a lot of people buy the "vintage classics" (old molds) for the nostagia value and, I admit that I have a soft spot for most of them, having spent many hours of my boyhood getting those guys into battle.