Wiring track with extension pack A

Hello everyone,

I am new to this hobby, I just bought this track with extension pack A and power with HM6000. I don’t understand why I get short circuit when I switch the point to the side track. Have I done anything wrong connecting the track or power supply? Do I need insulated fishplates to avoid short circuit?

many thanks

forum_image_625ebc2a4b71f.png.a777addf549e7ce5cfdce5e7df99cb00.pngforum_image_625ebc2bec250.png.7225a81bb09a753a4d41edde046e42b6.pngforum_image_625ebc2e10599.png.1bc85f3d6b4e29a611138c4ba36ac7ef.png

As Rog says likely to be a faulty point.

For general wiring tips see the Getting started with Track Extensions guide in the General Discussion section.

Insulating fishplates aka IRJs are only really needed when you are using both control channels of the HM6000(s) connected to adjacent controlled track areas i.e. a pair of points crossing loop to loop would have IRJs at the inter-loop joint or where a siding is to be separately controlled. See A-B crossover, C to siding, D to siding and E to siding in the diagram.

forum_image_625ee9511d104.thumb.png.621d5d165883d4a5884c404fa3fb7fe8.png

As Rog says likely to be a faulty point.
For general wiring tips see the Getting started with Track Extensions guide in the General Discussion section.
Insulating fishplates aka IRJs are only really needed when you are using both control channels of the HM6000(s) connected to adjacent controlled track areas i.e. a pair of points crossing loop to loop would have IRJs at the inter-loop joint or where a siding is to be separately controlled. See A-B crossover, C to siding, D to siding and E to siding in the diagram.
forum_image_625ee9511d104.thumb.png.85a41dc2a8d1da4f163506b48bb9cbe6.png

Thanks for the advise, I think you and Rog are right. I replaced with another point from extension pack B and it works totally fine. I bought the track from Hornby web site, I reported to the customer service email and see what they can do for me.

Hornby can be slow to answer emails so you may be better off giving them a call. At least you have confirmed the point is faulty.

No need to use the blue button to reply because it repeated my previous post which had an image meaning your reply went into the queue to be released by a moderator as and when they saw it.

Simply scrolling down and replying in the box below using the green post reply button gets your answer on the forum immediately providing you don't add any further images. There is a sticky post for newcomers to the forum explaining this and other tips, that is worth a read.