New Scalextric cars

Good afternoon, I have a vintage Eldon trackthat I recently started running again. . I just purchased a brand new 1/32 Scalextric car. When I place it on the track all it does is make noise and vibrate. It essential goes nowhere. Is this common for these cars when used on older track? Was I suppose to do something special to the care once I removed it from the box? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you George

Hi George,

Which cars specifically?

I'll have to dig out my books about Eldon track but I am assuming that the rails on that track are wider than standard Scalextric track. The fact that the rail actually make up the slot on Scalextric means most other brands have wider rails.

First check the cars by putting a a 9 volt battery to the braids and see if the wheels move freely.

If they move fine then the problem is probably the braids are not touching the rails either because they are wider apart or because the rails may be deeper in the track.

If you are sure there is contact but the car still won't move then likely there is too much resistance in the rails and/or the track piece connections are not good enough.

Before you go all around the track checking each thing though only use the car on the power base section of track to make sure there aren't any loose connections under the track.

There is an outside chance that you have a car with a digital plug in it that might possibly be causing issues as they are more sensitive but really should work fine...

Let us know how you get on!