One-handed modelling

Ian-358801

Before I start experimenting with vices, clamps and the like, Does anyone have any tips for modelling one-handed?

I ask as, having returned to the hobby and making a handful of models, I have now injured my left (non-dominant) hand. All the bits are there, but effectively my forearm, wrist, thumb and fingers will be rigid for a couple of months. The best I can do is wedge something between my fingers but can’t apply pressure. I saw the film My Left Foot a long time ago but I think I’m neither supple nor talented enough to benefit.

Gosh, that's a dilemma! If I think about it many tasks can he done with the right hand but only if the particular part is well restrained. Even then it won't be easy to place he part in a vice / clamp using just one hand. Perhaps the fact that you can wedge something between the fingers will allow you to then clamp the part you need to work on.

I would imagine that my first attempt at single handed building would be unlikely to be the same as my usual builds ....so I think I would start off with a "trial." I'd buy a larger scale kit to have larger parts and I'd avoid something with small fiddley parts. For me that would mean a larger scale, relatively simple kit. Something like a Revell fishing trawler. Alternatively a rocket such as a Saturn V.

That will allow me to explore the difficulties and master the techniques required for single-handed building.

Very interested to see how this goes. Good luck then and please keep us posted.

Thank you. That adds to the ideas that I had.

Some priorities have got in my way so I’ll probably have to wait until the weekend for my first test runs. I’ll update this in due course.

I did think of trying to persuade my wife that filing and filling are good practice for her hobbies, leaving me to do the more fun bits, but I don’t want to risk another week living in the garden shed. I’m already in her bad books after I led her to offer to buy me a Border Model’s Lancaster for my birthday (“It’s only 7” I said; it’s not my fault she thought £ not £100, is it?) only to see myself hoisted by my own petard as she used a strategy I often use on her: “Yes, I’ll honour that, but I didn’t say for which birthday, did I?”. Let’s hope I live to 120 to get it.

Hi Ian.

Sorry to hear you've lost the use of one hand, temporally I hope. You might find the use of a jig helpful most use rubber-bands to hold the model in place. useful for holding the main assembly while adding other parts. I use mine for holding the fuselage assembly when adding the top wing on biplanes. the other thing you could try is getting something fairly solid like a large plastic jar full of water the with a large blob of blue or white-tack, you can then mount the model onto the top, useful for painting or adding decals.

Hope this helps and good luck. Hope your hand heels soon.

Remember we do this for fun. John the Pom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the tips.

I found that a small vice and a cork board with pins to be very useful. I struggled with small parts, albeit a large chunk of Blutack helped in cutting them off runners. I therefore limited myself to more basic models and figure painting (where my injury was a great excuse to cover up for my lack of painting skills, akin to doing paint-by-numbers when others here are relative Rembrandts . . . .).

I limited myself to painting with brushes, finding masking to be too difficult.

In summary, carrying on modelling is fine one-handed provided you can live with lower expectations (it's meant to be fun after all, and we mostly do it for ourselves).