BASIC paints required to paint viaduct

wapples

NOOB

Never scratch built a model let alone painting. Starting easy I built the FALLER double track curved viaduct kit. Need to slap some paint on it does not need to be highly accurate just a bit of Colour so it’s not the grey plastic. The Colour and style I’m after is what is seen in the picture can someone advise me of Colours I would need to achieve this. Nearest model shop is a 6 hour drive so I imagine. We will have to buy online.

all advice welcome

OP

UPDATE Australia post and couriers won’t send sprays like tamiya & humbrol so if I’m going to make the pilgrimage let’s get this right. Ta

forum_image_628cab5837227.png.020c7cb8e1394da80e3d37381cdd6d30.png

Faller and other plastic kit makers give much scope to make the kits better. My option would be red sandstone or grey granite. Red use Halfords brown undercoat and dark grey, use their grey undercoat. Make the model up and then spray in the choice colour. Use even sprays all over the model. Do not try to cover it all at once or you will get runs. Move across each area with a sweep. Continue this allowing the first coat and subsequent coats to dry off the carrier. This may take an hour done carefully (or less) once thoroughly dry you can add the "cement" if required. To do this I would spray some of the base into the lid and add a small amount of white or cream acrylic to lighten the colour (not too much) Then add some water about 50% and mix thoroughly. This should be very runny. With a good quality sable paint brush, load it and just touch the cement depression areas. Capilliary action will draw the mix from the brush into the cement. Be patient and just allow it to flow as it will take time and need to dry. Cover the whole kit like this. It is a slow process. Once done and dry you will need some black paint (matt finish for all) Get a wide brush and dip it in the paint wiping off the vast majority. Then dry brush the whole surface so that you only leave a very light cover on the raised parts. One sweep and the stone should look older but still show the light colour well. Do this until you are happy with the effect. The tops can be that bit darker if you wish. Using the smae technique but in small quantities here and there add dabs of green to show moss growth. The best thing to do is research some actual photos of similar bridges. You may wish to gently cover under the arch in white, again not too thick but enough to show water seepage. That would be maily in the upper arch with dribbles on the inner walls. Refer again to real life photos. Using PVA glue to add weeds to the upper outer areas. Hornby make lichen and suitable coloured "flock" to make it look like leaves or use actual plants from the range that look like weeds, such as Rosebay Willow herb. I hope that gives room for thought.

Thats marvellous thanks for that. Yes Room for improvement a plenty including building in extra structural support. Yes spraying a base Colour I agree is the winner to be fair I only have to focus on the one fascia that is seen BUT will still carry on the other side to ensure I don’t miss something. Top advice. Ta

Faller and other plastic kit makers give much scope to make the kits better. My option would be red sandstone or grey granite. Red use Halfords brown undercoat and grey use their grey undercoat. Make the model up and then spray in the choice colour. Use even sprays all over the model. Do not try to cover it all at once or you will get runs. Move across each area with a sweep. Continue this allowing the first coat and subsequent coats to dry off the carrier. This may take an hour done carefully (or less) once thoroughly dry you can add the "cement" if required. To do this I would spray some of the base into the lid and add a small amount of white or cream acrylic to lighten the colour (not too much) Then add some water about 50% and mix thoroughly. This should be very runny. With a good quality sable paint brush, load it and just touch the cement depression areas. Capilliary action will draw the mix from the brush into the cement. Be patient and just allow it to flow as it will take time and need to dry. Cover the whole kit like this. It is a slow process. Once done and dry you will need some black paint (matt finish for all) Get a wide brush and dip it in the paint wiping off the vast majority. Then dry brush the whole surface so that you only leave a very light cover on the raised parts. One sweep and the stone should look older but still show the light colour well. Do this until you are happy with the effect. The tops can be that bit darker if you wish. Using the smae technique but in small quantities here and there add dabs of green to show moss growth. The best thing to do is research some actual photos of similar bridges. You may wish to gently cover under the arch in white, again not too thick but enough to show water seepage. That would be maily in the upper arch with dribbles on the inner walls. Refer again to real life photos. Using PVA glue to add weeds to the upper outer areas. Hornby make lichen and suitable coloured "flock" to make it look like leaves or use actual plants from the range that look like weeds, such as Rosebay Willow herb. I hope that gives room for thought.

Moderators note - you see what happens when you use that blue button - everything gets completely screwed up. Just scroll down the page, type your reply in the reply box and press the green reply button. Everyone will know who you are replying to. So much clearer to see what on earth you are trying to say.

Thats marvellous thanks for that. Yes Room for improvement a plenty including building in extra structural support. Yes spraying a base Colour I agree is the winner to be fair I only have to focus on the one fascia that is seen BUT will still carry on the other side to ensure I don’t miss something. Top advice. Ta