CLUB MERCHANDISE WISH LIST

Just a thought - whilst I think that the benefits to be gained from Club membership are fine and actually good value - not least the Club 'special' kit, and the magazine, and of course the 10% reduction and Air Miles - might it be possible for the Club to have Airfix tee-shirts available, and perhaps also an enamel Club badge? IPMS (as an example) has a very nice enamel badge available to its members, and I'd certainly order a couple of tee-shirts with a suitable Airfix logo. Perhaps the Club could run a competition to design one?

As I say - just a thought - but I guess if Airfix thought that there might be an easy (and profitable) market for such items, they could be persuaded...

Airfix have issued enamel pin badges previously (I have a collection of them) and new ones would be welcome additions.

I guess quantities are the trickiest to get right. Order too few and some members will be disappointed if they don't get one. Order too many and they're left with stock. I guess they could sell off any excess after the year's membership has been satisfied.

Hi Ratch

You're right about the need to get quantities right, but I would have thought that the demand would be quite high for the enamel badge. I too have a couple of oldish ones.

As to the tee-shirts, I'm sure Airfix could link up with a tee-shirt printer from whom the order could be made, meaning that Airfix wouldn't actually have to hold the stock themselves.

As to the tee-shirts, I'm sure Airfix could link up with a tee-shirt printer from whom the order could be made, meaning that Airfix wouldn't actually have to hold the stock themselves.

That might work.

Its easy to ask for this, that and the other when you don't know the limitations. I'm sure some people think that Airfix just throw a mould in and knock out a dozen or so kits. In reality, it can take days to set an injection moulding machine correctly (sometimes it goes well and is done quickly), but the setting up impacts on the cost. Therefore it is more efficient to run a machine for thousands of prints to minimise the cost of overhead. I know this because I worked in a Toy Factory that had injection moulding machines. Among other things, we made Corgi cars (now part of the Hornby Group). I started on the shop floor and rose to Production Planning Manager, so I've had a close insight into the business.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've have been modelling airplanes now for around two years, after building the excellent Hawker Hurricane starter set, hooked. I'm now working on the 1/72 Ju87B-1 Stuka ( wonderful kit ) and the one thing glaringly obvious from other kits I've built is the choice of seats, one with and one without seatbelts/ harnesses. For me at least this elevated this model to a new level, no having to order or make the said articles.

So, with this in mind I scanned over some aftermarket manufacturers to see their offerings, the 3D printed belts look excellent ( yet to try ) and speaking to friends in the 3D printing field, very cheap to manufacture. As would be a complete print of the seat/s with belts and harnesses as one. Perhaps this would a nice little exclusive addition to the Club Members kits and would be ( in my opinion) another temptation to join the club.

• 7 months later...