Track length to get a car up to full speed

Peter1707822935

220 mph in 1/32 scale is 6.875 miles per hour in "real" speed which is roughly a brisk pace for a human i.e. slightly more than walking but not outright running.

How long of a track a car needs to achieve this is all dependent on the gearing (and to an extent the motor).

Just like on a bicycle the higher the gear the higher the speed but the longer it will take to get there. Conversely, a lower geared car will hit its highest speed faster but the overall highest speed will be lower.

It is all explained here:

BTW: There are those out there that argue one should use "high" and "low" the other way around the argument being there are fewer teeth on the gears and therefore a "lower" number for a "higher" speed.

I use the terms roughly as how they are on real cars with a "higher" gear i.e. 5th verses 4th usually results in a higher speed.

While the motor does play a role it is pretty much down to the overall RPM. There are motors as low as 10k RPM and as high as 30k RPM. Obviously a higher RPM motor will result in a higher top speed....

Most standard cars or in the middle around 15k-16k.

Thanks for the reply and the information, as you have probably guessed I am a newbie to the sport. I am building a track using Scalextric Sport track, I have an area of 23ft long by 5ft wide reducing to 3ft wide for the last 6ft.

This last six foot will be a little tricky to extend the track into so I am just trying to work out whether a 17ft straight is long enough to really let the cars rip or whether going to the extra effort to gain the extra 6ft is worth it.forum_image_630609290d351.thumb.png.53b0d851079798db3955e6641db4a7c5.png

The intention is to build a permanent track that is quite technically challenging to drive on with a long fast straight to a R2 and long sweeping corners.

Regards Peter

A general rule of thumb that many people use is as long as you can go full throttle for 1-2 seconds you are pretty much maxing out the car. 17 foot or 5.2 meters is a nice long bit of track!

A few other tips:

When you start hitting 30 feet/10 meters of track you might have problems with power drops. See here for tips: https://uk.scalextric.com/community/advice/track-maintenance

Depending on your powerbase you might be able to use 2 power packs as well.

Regarding track design: If the space is wide enough try to use wider curves at the end of that long straight so it gives people more time to react: 22.5° R4, 22.5°R3 and then maybe 22.5° or 45° R2 to get around... it make for a much smoother driving experience...

It is my personal preference as I tend to drive with underage drivers and they like to go like bats out of heck....