Electrotren E2415 conversion to TECSA 316.017

ellocoloco

My main railway modelling interest is Spain, specifically Era 5c which according to NEM 809 is from 2000-2005 which is perfect as I first went to Spain in 2000 after meeting my future Spanish wife in 1999. During this period most freight locos carried the Taxi livery which reminds me of my favourite BR livery - Large Logo blue. I had some knowledge of the Spanish network prior to this and knew the RENFE operated a large number of US diesel designs along side modern European electrics. The diesels were my favourites especially the ALCo DL 500 World series - based on the FA model - of which RENFE operated the A, C and S models as the type 316, 318 and 321.

Electrotren have produced a number a models of the Type 316 DL500A since 2006 and I have three of the contractors versions - RENFE had withdrawn the type by the mid nineties- but wanted another one from private operator TECSA for my future layout to go with the VIAS, COMSA and AZVI locos I already had. Despite many hints over a number of years on Electrotren's FB page they haven't produced the TECSA version yet so I decided to have a go myself! Taking advantage of the best deal on the Hornby Website, I got Electrotren starter set E10126 with E2415 VIAS 316.002. At £124.04 for a 21pin loco with full independent lighting options and rotating fan, oval of R3 track, two wagons and a 'quality' controller its a pretty good deal and certainly the best value set on the website!

TECSA 316.017 retained the RENFE Taxi livery with TECSA logos and also had the number boards removed and plated over so I would have to make a few alterations to 316.002 before I could start on the repaint. The front end was altered using Revell filler and plasticard follow by a complete respray with Humbrol 126, Railmatch 304, Xtracolor 802.After a coat of Railmatch gloss I used decals from Trenmilitaria and then Railmatch satin. I've popped in a decoder and its ready for duty when I get round to building a layout! The loco runs superbly, as do all my Electrotren model, and I think I did a good enough job for it to not look out of place.

forum_image_6313a7ff0b6c5.thumb.png.95028d8a9c9dd8caab73e636d6477dca.png

forum_image_6313a8156154f.thumb.png.cde37472be3717e867854c68cfc59287.png

forum_image_6313a81f58536.thumb.png.9f3fd5c5e6e245fde0c5321c1913454a.png

I found this a challenging project and will now need to get some wagons for it!

RAF,

I've always assumed that Hornby's OO models (Railroad excepted) are designed and produced to the same standard as the International models. There are some things that are market specific and certainly it would appear that kinematic NEM 362 mounts and 21pin sockets were standardised on the International models before the OO selection and the HO models appear to have stuck with ESU rather than a version of TTS. In terms of motor quality, drive, pickups, detail and finish I would expect them to be very similar.

Electrotren is the second most numerous brand in my collection with Roco being the leader. Both produce excellent models but so far I would have to rate the Roco mechanism slightly higher - I haven't had a split gear on a Roco model yet but have had two failures with Electrotren units. I am happier with the performance and appearance of my Electrotren models than with those I have from ESU, Bachmann - Liliput and Bachmann China, Athearn - Blue Box and Ready to Roll, Mabar, Atlas, Walthers and Mehano.

One thing about Electrotren that goes in its favour for me is my lack of knowledge of the prototype. There are certainly members on Spanish forums who moan about some paint shades being wrong or the details not fitting the livery or era -sound familiar? I am happy to have a model that looks like I think it should and I am prepared to modify if necessary. After all its a hobby and meant to be fun! sunglasses